Shovelling boulevards

Quote from my Dad, " You youngsters have no clue what snow is, I used to walk 3 miles to school in 4 feet of snow, uphill both ways.

"Billy G"
The old ones are. the best.

Growing up all snow removal was by shoveling. I have photos which show 6' high snow banks. My Mom used to go out to shovel so my Dad could get up the driveway when he came home from work. We kids loved the high banks because we could make snow caves. As we got older, the shoveling became our responsibility. The parents didn't get a snowblower until after I left home. Here's one of my Dad.
Snowbank .JPG

As a teenager, catching the school bus was an adventure in the winter. We had weeks of -20ºF and the bus stop was at a corner about a 1/4 mile from the house. The bus wouldn't wait if you weren't there so it was necessary to stand in the cold and wind. Those of you who are older will remember the polished cotton pants that were fashionable then; thin enough to read through and if you had phys. ed. , you wouldn't be caught dead in long johns. I learned how to swear standing on that corner. I wised up and started riding in with my Dad. He would drop me off about two miles from the high school and I would run the distance. The fronts of my legs would be so frozen by the time I reached the high school that they would burn for an hour. Cool dudes didn't wear caps then. Certainly not one with ear coverings.

All the manual training classes in high school were held in a different building about a 1/2 mile from the high school and all those taking classes had to hoof it to and from and not be late for their next class.

There was no such thing as shutting down school for snow or cold weather back then and any parent would think it insane to drive the car out the the road so the kids wouldn't have to wait in the cold.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Lol 4". That's good rear wheel drive drifting weather.

Sounds like he is in Puerto Rico (PR) at the beach.

"Billy G"

Southeast Texas??
Has snow actually ever even fallen there??
In 2004, we had a white Christmas! Had about 8" of snow in our yard. Started Christmas eve night and didn't quit until early Christmas morning. All of us and the neighbors were outside at midnight playing the snow. By late Christmas day, most of it had melted and refrozen that night into ice! Even a bigger mess!
National weather service said that was the first ever recorded on Christmas for south Texas.

In 2004, we had a white Christmas! Had about 8" of snow in our yard. Started Christmas eve night and didn't quit until early Christmas morning. All of us and the neighbors were outside at midnight playing the snow. By late Christmas day, most of it had melted and refrozen that night into ice! Even a bigger mess!
National weather service said that was the first ever recorded on Christmas for south Texas.

I couldn't remember for sure what year that was. We lived in Seguin at the time but had gone to Corpus Christi for our traditional Christmas Eve.( Corpus is my hometown) It was a long drive back home that night with all the fools who thought they should still drive 70mph on the roads. Later passed them off the side of the road:D

Yeah, that same day, we were supposed to go to my mother in laws house for Christmas dinner. About as far as we could get was about 10 miles from town heading to Cuero. At about 30-35 mph lost it and wound up down in the shallow bar ditch. Things were dry enough for me to drive right out. We turned around and went back to the house!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I forgot about the 2004 "blizzard". We got less than an inch out of that one at my house. If you blinked, you missed it. But areas to south of us, like Victoria and El Campo, got in the neighborhood of a foot. Another brutal South Texas winter. ;)

Tom

Back