shop made tooling

Ditto. Hopefully the brief anger you felt has turned into something more productive. There's so much that can be said about the type of person that thrives on negativity, but what the email should have said is "there's no way I could have made...". That would have been more to the point.

I don't think there's a single member that believes that email, or doubts your talent and knowledge.

Like the singer said, "Hater's gonna hate...".

I am not sure where to put this but I think it fits here. Many of you know I make my own tooling and my primary reason ( besides I need it) is to show others how to have quality tooling at a low cost. I got an email from someone, don't know if they are on here or another forum I used to belong to, but the email made me angry in the sense they said " you can't make all the stuff you say you made". Short of photos, I would invite anyone to my shop to see for themselves what can be done with very little. These photos are the tooling I have made in the last 6 months ( or at least most of it), and the total cost for material for all this is under $250. that being said , I have access to a lot of scrap at the moment. There are a LOT of hours here also, but I don't count that making for myself.

View attachment 88704
View attachment 88705
View attachment 88706

I really don't know what else to say,

Mark Frazier

Mark:
I'm a novice at all this. I would hardly call myself a Machinist. I did go to machine shop school when I returned home from exotic South East Asia in 1970, but worked as an electrician. My brother and I are setting up a small hobby shop. I am making several of the tools that we need. Living on what the govt. gives me necessitates' creativity!
I'll be following your post hence forth. Next I want to make a "not to complicated" rotary table for the small mill we have. [Pro Cut 30]
Thank you and Super Great Job Mark

steve
Pro Cut 30 mill, Logan 10" mdl 821 lathe , Jet 20" drill press, Kalamazoo mdl 7 saw, welders, grinders, ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only a real idiot who knows nothing but book learning would make a statement like that. Mark I strive to build things as nice looking as your tools. Lots of tools out there for sale that don't even come close to your quality. Take care God bless

Thank you all for your support. When I was young , I had no patience. I was fighting at the drop of a hat. Now that I am old.... eh .....older, I have much patience but not with....(how to say this politely), negative people. I tend to pull away from negative or bad situations. I just don't want to deal with them anymore I guess. That is why I spend so many hours a day in my shop and I am trying to pass what I know on somehow.

Thank you ,

Mark Frazier :))

G'day Mark, Don't let them get the better of you, I know exactly where you are coming from. I have led a full life and had many experiences, traveled a lot, learned a lot, and forgotten much of it. I'm now 73 Years old and becoming aware that my time is limited, and yet I have much to do. Fortunately my general health is not too bad, although my back is not good and I've been told I need a couple of hip replacements. I'm also a full time carer for my other half, who is not well, she had a serious stroke 5 months ago and fortunately is recovering, but very slowly.

I've given up telling people the things I've done, the places I've been, because they often say I could not have done all that, I'd have to be 200 years old, and sometimes I feel it, but I have to accept the fact that I'm only 73

I do admire your work, and wish I had the patience to do the same. but in the situation I'm in, I have decided that sometimes I have to get the end result even if it aint pretty. So my main objective now is to get it done quickly. I still have along list of projects, but not much shop time available.

What I'm trying to say is, yes I can do precision, I was trained as a toolmaker, and I do it where it's necessary, I have many times made / repaired what people said couldn't be done, but I learned that what they were really saying was they couldn't do it, at least they were honest enough to admit it. I know have to accept that if it aint really important then good enough will have to do. Keep up the good work Mark, and let us all enjoy what you can do And be proud of what you can do.

Bob from downunder.

As said above, haters hate, and inversely, doers do. You definitely fall into the later category. Cheers, Mike

Mark, I admire your work. The notion that this person can't believe you made all of it has got to be the highest compliment he could pay you - It's just that good.

I have a toolmaker friend and I've seen most of his work over the last 38 years. He only uses old school techniques on manual machines. He once lost a contract because he delivered the first 12 parts as perfect parts - each was within a tenth or 2, and every one was perfectly finished and exactly the same. They claimed he was lying to them and that he must have used a CNC to produce such perfection. His response before walking out the door: "No CNC in town can make them that good!" (That was about 30 years ago when CNC machines were much more finicky and far less accurate than today).

I can see from the photos that your work and my friend's work are in the same league. Keep up the great work!

I think your an inspiration to all here who aspire to sharpen their skills. Some people's goal is to drag others down. Please do us all a favor and continue to build and show. I got my eye on that little way stop.

--Chip

Mark, speaking as one who's been around the block a few times as well - to be blunt they're neukulturny. If you speak Russian you understand just how big an insult that is...and it fits the naysayers to a tee.

To the whingers: Make, mend, DO. Don't talk, don't whinge, don't criticize...DO and then you have the right to have an opinion.

Mark, speaking as one who's been around the block a few times as well - to be blunt they're neukulturny. If you speak Russian you understand just how big an insult that is...and it fits the naysayers to a tee.

To the whingers: Make, mend, DO. Don't talk, don't whinge, don't criticize...DO and then you have the right to have an opinion.

Is uncultured white trash close enough?

Back