Sheldon (Vernon) Model 0 Horizontal Mill Restoration.

Very nice! I have used Fusion for single items, but not assemblies as shown in your first picture. Is the assembly thing (join) hard to do?

Quite easy, just add a new component. There are a lot of tuturials that can show you how.

Got any tutorials that you would recommend? I find that most of the presenters can't teach, they might know the program, but can't teach.

Thanks for that, but that is the one I didn't like at all.

Update #7
Today I started the re-assembly. This is the fun part for me, all the dirty work is done and you get to see it come back to life. The first step was to assemble the motor mount and install it. This actually took longer than I thought it would, this is a fairly complicated mechanism. There is a lever hand on the left side that allows the motor to easily raised and lowered. I think this was done to allow easy changes of the motor pulley. The original Vernon documentation indicates they supplied two different size motor pulleys to allow for different ranges of speed.

IMG_0821[1].JPGIMG_0826[1].JPG

Next I installed the counter shaft and then the spindle. The counter shaft is adjustable to set the tension on the belts from the counter shaft to the spindle shaft. I left the spindle bearings a little loose until they get some run time and warm up to allow final adjustment of the preload. I used some long 1/4-20 bolts to guide the bearing houses and some all-thread to pull everything in tight.

IMG_0823[1].JPGIMG_0829[1].JPG

With the upper belts in and the motor set I measured for the lower belt. With the mechanical speed adjustment removed the new drive belt from the motor to the counter shaft is fairly long, I hope it works ok.

IMG_0828[1].JPGIMG_0833[1].JPG

It is starting to look like a machine again. While I'm waiting for the new belt to arrive, I'll work on mounting the new electrical enclosure. I'd like to test the motor and spindle assembly before I get too far along with other components.

IMG_0824[1].JPG

Last edited:
Update #7
Today I started the re-assembly. This is the fun part for me, all the dirty work is done and you get to see it come back to life. The first step was to assemble to motor mount and install it. This actually took longer than I thought it would, this is a fairly complicated mechanism. There is a lever hand on the left side that allows the motor to easily raised and lowered. I think this was done to allow easy changes of the motor pulley. The original Vernon documentation indicates they supplied two different size motor pulleys to allow for different ranges of speed.

View attachment 435052View attachment 435053

Next I installed the counter shaft and then the spindle. The counter shaft is adjustable to set the tension on the belts from the counter shaft to the spindle shaft. I left the spindle bearings a little loose until they get some run time and warm up to allow final adjustment of the preload. I used some long 1/4-20 bolts to guide the bearing houses and some all-thread to pull everything in tight.

View attachment 435057View attachment 435060

With the upper belts in and the motor set I measured for the lower belt. With the mechanical speed adjustment removed the new drive belt from the motor to the counter shaft is fairly long, I hope it works ok.

View attachment 435056View attachment 435061

It is starting to look like a machine again. While I'm waiting for the new belt to arrive, I'll work on mounting the new electrical enclosure. I'd like to test the motor and spindle assembly before I get too far along with other components.

View attachment 435062

That’s looking great. Looking forward to seeing pics of it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update #8
I made good progress yesterday. I fabricated the brackets to mount the electrical enclosure and then tested the VFD with the motor installed. The motor is a 1HP 3phase 240 volt industrial motor I found on Marketplace. I ran temporary power to the electrical enclosure and ran the motor from the VFD . It ran extremely smooth and quiet. And just as I finished running the motor my ring doorbell alerted me to a package on my porch, which was the new v belt I ordered for the motor to the counter shaft. Since the motor is adjustable up and down, I measured the center-to-center distance in both locations and used the average distance to calculate the length of the new belt, which was 60". I installed the belt and ran the machine again. I'm very pleased with how smooth and quite it ran given the length of the new belt. The motor mount has springs that allow some movement both and up and down and I think that helps to smooth out vibrations. I'm very happy with it at this point.

The electrical enclosure holds the VFD for the spindle and the components for the crossfeed drive. I considered mounting the enclosure on the rear or the side of the base, but I don't like working on things that low to the ground. Also, that would have required making a separate operators panel. So, I decided to use a single enclosure and mount it on the right side of the column about eye level. This allowed me to install the switches and pushbuttons on the side of the enclosure which made wiring a lot easier. I laser engraved a sheet of stainless steel for all the labels rather than using individual labels. I think it turned out nice. I probably should have mounted the ESTOP button a little higher as the table may block it when it is in the upper position, but I think I can live with it.

Now that I'm satisfied with the spindle drive, I'll move on with the rest of the assembly. I need to paint the brackets I made but since I forgot to paint the overarm support, I'll do all that together later. My goal now is to get the knee, saddle and table installed so I can test the crossfeed drive. I've decided to hand scrape the gibs so that is my next task.

IMG_0840[1].JPG IMG_0839[1].JPG

Very nice on the laser engraved panel, looks factory. Like I mentioned before that color is great!

Back