shaper cost

Keep in mind the opening bid is $7000. My bet is when it's all said and done it goes for about $12000, what a bargain. :roflmao:

Keep in mind the opening bid is $7000. My bet is when it's all said and done it goes for about $12000, what a bargain. :roflmao:

Hey while we are on the subject about craigs list; what in hell does all words must match? so should I type shaper shaper? I type metal shaper it says all words must
match... Now thats stupid don't make sense even tried metal shaper and then if just type shaper I get wood working stufff..... Don;t ya know I don't how to run craigs list.
why can't they make things friendly for old computor dopes....
sam

check out some of my old shaper posts here (I dont know how to find them but somebody here will know..)

I saw that.....almost messaged him n asked if he put one too many zeros in there. Some people.

It's kinda a PITA. When I search for a shaper I just search "shaper" I don't use the titles only option and I search all areas (some people don't know how to put things in the correct section). I have to just ignore the woodworking tools and womens clothes for the posts that matter.

For example. A few years ago when I was looking for some end tables I figured out that if I searched "end tables" I got every listing with the word "end" and every listing with "tables" in it. I ended up just searching for "end" in the furniture section, narrowed it down alot bur there was still a lot of BS to weed through.

Skinner,
Of course there is the new ebay listing for a 7" shaper for $3,000 and ONLY $1,000 shipping :rofl: as they say "What a Deal!"/QUOTE]

That shaper was probably in the back of HSM a couple years ago. Didn't sell then, either.

Ebay prices range from rational to insane- with stupidly insane predominating. High shipping cost is just another way to hide high prices. The worst seem to be junkers who get an old -often poorly kept- machine and want to sell it as "industrial steam-punk" to decorators. Generally easily identified because they use words like rare, unique, and the like. A pair of 100 year old Sheldon lathe legs for $400, anyone? (Not the lathe- just the legs).

Use the ebay advanced search (on sold listings) to find out what things are really selling for. Don't hesitate to contact the seller and make an offer, even if he's not looking for one. As often as not, the seller hasn't the faintest idea what a fair price is...and once a listing goes ignored for a few weeks, a bit of reality-testing can score a reasonable buy, if not a bargain.

And then this week on ebay, a 7 inch Atlas for $7,000 ???????????????? I think it was a grand for delivery Tot $8,000 or a thousand dollars an inch.
Why thats better than coin collecting.. Mine is a pristine mint one owner machine I paid a turn key $400.bucks
sam

Yep. I've got a Rhodes shaper/slotter (look it up...) 7", built in 1930's, paid about 300, from the third owner or so. Perfect shape, great for a hobby shop. Anything bigger than about 10-12" is just too much iron, despite how useful it would be.

Fleabay prices on shapers this week are just hilarious. I don't think any of the sellers have even the vaguest notion of actual value- it's some kind of "this is a really, really complicated old machine, and it still goes, and it MUST be worth thousands" thinking. Even when the seller has tool or machine in his name.

one of the tricks when using the craigslist search engine is to subtract keywords by adding a minus sign before words you want to eliminate. -wood for example will disregard all ads with the word wood in it. You have to be careful though because 'metal shaper with wood stand ' would not show up in your results.

Here's a link to one almost identical to the one I purchased for $175.00. It's on the Detroit (Owosso) Craigslist

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/4798883766.html

It's even on an identical stand. The only difference is mine has the light. To me the price is outrageous for Michigan, but if you could get for $500.00 you'd be much better off than the one you were originally looking at. Make an offer of $300.00 and see what happens. I doubt the seller is firm at $1000.00. He has ads for other non-machining items. I' would bet it's either a business, or he's cleaning items out of the garage.

This guy is pretty firm on his price. The search continues :newspaper:

Back