shaper cost

Here's a link to one almost identical to the one I purchased for $175.00. It's on the Detroit (Owosso) Craigslist

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/4798883766.html

It's even on an identical stand. The only difference is mine has the leight. To me the price is outrageous for Michigan, but if you could get for $500.00 you'd be much better off than the one you were originally looking at. Make an offer of $300.00 and see what happens. I doubt the seller is firm at $1000.00. He has ads for other non-machining items. I' would bet it's either a business, or he's cleaning items out of the garage.

That's the one I've seen on there, I thought 1000 was outrageous too. I had some one email me last night with the same thing but needs electric redone, for 1000. I passed. I'll email them and see if they will sell for a realistic ok price. Thanks

I've been using a multi city search on a cl app on my phone (hardly ever use actual computer anymore) it will let me search 5 different areas. I've been using the word shaper as my search criteria, all areas no price range. I've also been doing the eBay thing (obviously). The only other listing that seems even kinda reasonable (still too much imo) is a 16 g&e for 900. I've messaged a few other listing and they want around 1500+ for 20-24 inch. Too much and too big for my 2 car garage with too much in it.

That's the one I've seen on there, I thought 1000 was outrageous too. I had some one email me last night with the same thing but needs electric redone, for 1000. I passed. I'll email them and see if they will sell for a realistic ok price. Thanks

Did they explain what had to be redone as far as the electrical parts are concerned. There's only a motor, a switch, and a light if you want to add one. There's almost nothing that can go wrong with it electrically.

When I bought mine it had the original cords and switch. When it was built there were no such things as polarized plugs, or grounding of the frame. It probably would have worked fine for another 20 years or more. However not knowing the history and condition of the parts I decided I would be better off to spend a couple bucks for upgrades. I replaced all the old cords and the switch for less than $50.00. If I count in all the coffee breaks, naps and other interruptions it probably took about an hour to complete.

I've had no luck with the search engine on craigslist. Not sure how it works but it misses a LOT of items. The other day a buddy had his Bridgeport on our local CL and I was unaware of it until I talked to him personally even though I do a search for "milling machine" almost daily. The search missed his machine because he had it listed as "Bridgeport mill" and must not have had milling machine in the keywords Idk. Sold for $850 before I knew it was for sale. :angry:

Did they explain what had to be redone as far as the electrical parts are concerned. There's only a motor, a switch, and a light if you want to add one. There's almost nothing that can go wrong with it electrically.

When I bought mine it had the original cords and switch. When it was built there were no such things as polarized plugs, or grounding of the frame. It probably would have worked fine for another 20 years or more. However not knowing the history and condition of the parts I decided I would be better off to spend a couple bucks for upgrades. I replaced all the old cords and the switch for less than $50.00. If I count in all the coffee breaks, naps and other interruptions it probably took about an hour to complete.

I didn't ask what the problem was. I figured they want too much for a working machine, one that needs work should go very cheap. Not being able to see it work I would probably pay about 200. I doubt they will drop the price 80%.

I've had no luck with the search engine on craigslist. Not sure how it works but it misses a LOT of items. The other day a buddy had his Bridgeport on our local CL and I was unaware of it until I talked to him personally even though I do a search for "milling machine" almost daily. The search missed his machine because he had it listed as "Bridgeport mill" and must not have had milling machine in the keywords Idk. Sold for $850 before I knew it was for sale. :angry:

I've found that the cl search, your keyboards have to match perfectly or it doesn't show up. When I was shopping for a mill I would search "mill" and then search again for "milling".

Ah. Thanks for the tip. I love my old k&t horizontal, but it sure would be nice to have a vertical sometimes. Last night I had to key a shaft n I didn't have the right size wheel cutter so I would've had to put it on v-blocks n use an end mill, ended up just doing it in my shaper.

I'm talking with someone who has a lewis he wants 250 for, has the vise. I know they were kits, we're they only 10 inch? The pics he sent me it looks pretty nice, can swe the scraping still.

And then this week on ebay, a 7 inch Atlas for $7,000 ???????????????? I think it was a grand for delivery Tot $8,000 or a thousand dollars an inch.
Why thats better than coin collecting.. Mine is a pristine mint one owner machine I paid a turn key $400.bucks
sam

And then this week on ebay, a 7 inch Atlas for $7,000 ???????????????? I think it was a grand for delivery Tot $8,000 or a thousand dollars an inch.
Why thats better than coin collecting.. Mine is a pristine mint one owner machine I paid a turn key $400.bucks
sam

Wow thats a bargain i'l take two please :)

stuart

Back