shaper cost

sk1nner

Active User
Registered
I've been looking at shapers online. I have a few options. One I'm looking at is this. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251756940724&alt=web. I got a shipping quote of $185. What would (in your opinion) be the most this is worth shipped? I live in a (reasonably priced) shaper desert. There is one like this but cleaner obviously cl for 1000, imo too much. So what's everyone's opinion? Thanks

IMHO small shapers go for about 1000 contingent upon condition.
the condition isn't horrible by the looks of the picture.
if you're a gambler put $500 on it + frt.:))

BTW $185 shipping is a pretty good deal, to get one to you.
think of it this way, would you go and pick it up for 185 and bring it to you?
probably not.

i too want a shaper, she just hasn't found me yet.

I would factor in your time to completely dismantle and clean the rust from the shaper. Most of it looks relatively minor but there could be pitting on the ram dovetails? I wouldn't pay much more than the asking price and would be tempted to wait for a slightly larger shaper to show up? Who am I kidding? If I could afford it I would buy it but common sense was never my strong suit

shawn

Keep looking, I think you can do that good or better. You're in Detroit not the middle of Montana. When I was looking last year, I was seeing several nice ones pop up down your way, or down by Toledo. I ended up buying a rebuilt, crated for storage, SB with cabinet and many accessories last fall for $200 plus time & gas to Chicago. Yes I got a steal ... but I they are out there.

I think by the time you get that one fixed to the point you would be happy, you'll find you could have done better (including time & materials).

I agree with those that say "keep looking". I purchased an AMMCO 7" shaper a couple years ago for almost the exact same price. The difference is the one I bought was in like new condition and delivered to the door. It came from the Badger Army Ammunition Depot in Baraboo Wisconsin. It looks and operates like new.

If you buy into the "they are rare and hard to come by" rhetoric you could pay a fortune for a piece of junk. You're in the industrial rust belt like me and there are quite a few available. Commercial machine shops are selling them for scrap prices just to free up floor space for more profitable machines. Don't forget to check the local Universities, technical schools, and high schools. Most of them are also replacing the old machines for more modern ones. I regularly see them on online auctions. Most are in far better shape than the one you're looking at.
Be patient and keep your ear to the ground. Wait until the right one comes along. The last thing you want to do is pay big bucks for a piece of junk, then find a gem the next week when you don't have a dime in your pockets.

Just as a side not I also purchased a 16" Leuter and Guiese shaper about the same time. It weighs a ton (Actually almost twice that) and takes up a massive amount of floor space. I got it for $250.00 which is less than scrap price. Fortunately for me the previous owner wanted it to go to a working shop rather than a scrapper.

Ok thank you all for your opinion. I was thinking about placing a max bid of $315 on it so I didn't spend more than $500 on it, but I think I'll listen and wait for a better deal.
I did think the shipping quote was a good deal though.

Good call Skinner, 6" is pretty small as far as shapers go. I own a 7" SB shaper and a 10.5" Douglas and most parts I want to put in the shaper are pushing the limits of the 10.5. The best part about owning a shaper AFAIK, is being able to use HSS bits to clean up rusty, dirty stock, so the bigger capacity the better.

Shawn

I know of a shaper a Milwaukee in upstate IL. I am planning a trip to the east coast from AZ to pick up some machines in NY and Baltimore. I was going to pick up the shaper on the way back. I have an old step toe, pretty small probably 6 in and know of another one locally that might or might not be for sale. I am wondering if there is an opportunity to satisfy your needs and some how work this into a delivery scheme also. Of coarse looking for help in paying for my trip. Best to PM me as I don't follow my post much.

Tim

Here's a link to one almost identical to the one I purchased for $175.00. It's on the Detroit (Owosso) Craigslist

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/4798883766.html

It's even on an identical stand. The only difference is mine has the light. To me the price is outrageous for Michigan, but if you could get for $500.00 you'd be much better off than the one you were originally looking at. Make an offer of $300.00 and see what happens. I doubt the seller is firm at $1000.00. He has ads for other non-machining items. I' would bet it's either a business, or he's cleaning items out of the garage.

Skinner,

There is a lot of good advice already given. It took me over 4 years of searching to locate a shaper that I could buy at my price (read cheap :)) ) May I ask how you are searching for your machine? I searched on ebay, and search tempest (multi-city search for craigs list listings). Search names included: shaper, metal shaper, crank shaper, shaper-planer; you get the idea. I found my 16" G & E through Practical Machinist, reviewing old posts about shapers, there was a post about someone selling one. The post was 4 years old but when I called they still had it and I was able to get it for much less than scrap value.
When I was actively searching for shapers, I located many machines --12" and larger within driving distance of you. Keep looking, you'll find something suitable.

Of course there is the new ebay listing for a 7" shaper for $3,000 and ONLY $1,000 shipping :rofl: as they say "What a Deal!"

Good luck

Mike

Back