Setting-up the PM 1236-T Lathe

[QUOTE="
That’s it for electrical, except for the coolant system, and there was no math!
[/QUOTE]
I have no experience, except that I watched every YouTube video on machining, twice, but I have never seen anyone use a cooling system on a lathe like you would see on a mill. When would it be used?

Makes sense, my Corvette Z06 came with oil change at 500 miles....
I looked through the manual on my Tesla, no reference to engine oil. And it will kick the ZO6’s butt.

I lied, I don’t have a Tesla. But I do have a Saturn Vue. Just doesn’t sound as cool. I am a huge fan of the Z06 but at 77 years old the Tesla would fit me better. Don’t expect the wife to get me either.

But I am getting a PM-1236T. I thing sex will be a lot better after the lathe arrives. Hold that...sex could kill me at my age and who will take care of the lathe.

[QUOTE="
I am sure there are some of you that use the lantern style toolpost
[/QUOTE]
Loved that thing. I took two years of Machine Shop in high school. 1958 and 1959. That was the last time I touched a lathe.

The accuracy limits of most of these machine is mostly operator, not the lathe. Understanding the properties of the material you are cutting, what the cutter does based on the depth of cut and material dimensions, etc. Most of these machine (G4003, 1236T, 1340GT, etc.) will easily turn to better than 0.001" w/o much effort. With the 1340GT I easily hit 0.0005" tolerance, beyond that other factors come into play. The spindle runout on either machine is about the same, the likely hood of having some issues with the machine is more likely skewed against the G4003G. I have helped quite a few G4003 owners replace their motors and convert to 3 phase because of surface finish issues, and a number of motor failures. If they work well out of the box, then you should be good, if you have QC issues they may persist. It comes down to there is no free lunch, if a machine is cheaper, then they need to cut corners getting there. As I mentioned you can chase ones tail with the numbers and features, at the end of the day you want a good accurate machine that works. Either the G4003G, the PM-1236 or the 1236GT will fit the requirement, the Taiwanese machines are just put together nicer and work smoother in my opinion. They are all good machines.

A D1-5 spindle mount in a 1000lb machine is more marketing then function, a D1-4 will perform jut as well. As Mikey indicated, you might see a difference with a much heavier lathe and deeper cut, but it ain't going to happen with a 1000lb machine. The main reason for a larger spindle mount in these type of machines is to increase the spindle diameter, so you can see something like a 2.0" spindle diameter with a D1-5 and 2.5" on a D1-6. Get into heavier machines and it is a different story. If I recall the Monarch EE used a D1-3 mount, it was good enough for aerospace parts.

You will not want to be moving the lathe after it is setup and leveled, you are looking at using a precision level to get the ways without any twist, you are not going to want to move the machine to clean up behind it. The practical solution is to give your self 1-2 feet behind the lathe to clean up, you should not need to get to the control box once the lathe is up and running. Giving some clearance behind the lathe, you can always pop open the control door enough to get in.

People tend to overthink many things when the machine is not in front of them, get the machine and start using it and your perspectives will change (myself included when I bought my first lathe, a 1340GT). Loved the lathe, eventually moved up to a heavier machine because of an opportunity/move. The full time gunsmith that purchased it loves it, he doesn't use his other larger lathe much anymore. Buy once, cry once.

Thanks, this is kind of what I figured i.e the accuracy is pretty decent on the G4003Gs or else they wouldn't be so popular with the gun crowd. It's likely not as refined as the 1236T but it's also $1k cheaper (used to be even cheaper until the tariffs hit). $5500 for a 12x36 model is a bit hard to justify which is probably why people end up getting the 1340GT instead as that's a much more substantial lathe for another $1k so overall a better buy. After running the numbers and stuff in my head, in the end I do like the idea of buy once cry once so may be the 1340GT when the time comes.

Reactions: Z2V
Very enjoyable thread! Can't believe I just sat here and read the whole thing. I am looking at buying the same PM 1236 T so this was time well spent.

Very enjoyable thread! Can't believe I just sat here and read the whole thing. I am looking at buying the same PM 1236 T so this was time well spent.
Welcome to HM! I think you will really enjoy the folks here and learn a lot. I am happy you enjoyed the thread on the 1236-T. I have been very happy with the machine and do not regret the investment. If you have any questions about the lathe I am happy to try to answer them for you. Mike

If you have any questions about the lathe I am happy to try to answer them for you. Mike

I see your lathe has the 220 single phase option instead of 220 three phase. Have you had any of the issues that I have read about as far as single phase causing surface finish problems?

Also, do you have any photos of some of the different parts you have machined?

Keizer, I have not had any issues with the single phase set-up but think the three phase is a nice idea and would strongly consider it if I were to buy again. I have not had any issues with surface finish but, like you, I am new at this and am not sure I would recognize any surface issues related to single or three phase supply. It seems to me that if I play around with speed, feed and depth of cut I get a very nice finish. I also have a coolant system that I believe helps as well. Hope that helps

Keizer, I have not had any issues with the single phase set-up but think the three phase is a nice idea...
I wonder I’d there is much difference in torque pulses for single phase vs three phase (180 vs 120 degrees)?

(I’ve enjoyed your thread also!)

Unfortunately, I can’t comment on torque pulses but there are some people on this Forum that have experience in this area. Hopefully one of them will see your comment and respond.

Thanks for your comment on the thread. I am not quite finished with it yet. I hope to finish it when work lightens up a bit and fishing season is over!

Back