Seeking Guidance on Bending Project

Brino--- thanks for the link. That's some incredible work he's doing. A dream for me really.

You could make a little die like this - it would put the radius on and cut to length at the same time.
About 6.25 tons to punch. You could also add one hole at the same time.

bracket2.jpg bracket.jpg

well plenty of options there to try the only change would be to make them out of stainless steel and polish them rather than chrome plate I know it will it harder to bend but you also could reduce the thickness to counter the bending moments and still retain the strength

I found a place locally that will harden the A2 bending die and roll form tool at a cost of $40. That's good news because I have no way to do it myself!

Thanks

Jim

Nice job on the prototypes so far. Just my .02 on material choice - drilling and deburring the holes in ss wont be fun. Talk about smoking drill bits. Polishing the ss is possible but labor intensive. I would rather fabricate from crs then send a whole batch to the platers and be done.
For bending clips like that in relatively small volume you might consider picking up a used 1a DiAcro bender?

My progress was delayed by some time out of town. I considered the project and my abilities and decided to make this dedicated bending tool. So far I have one small die that bends the sharp angle and curve. I've got some fine-tuning to do but I am happy with progress so far. Actually this is the first tool I have ever made in my life so I am beyond happy! The bends shown here are just samples to see if it would even work. The last picture is s plywood prototype which I cut on a laser cutter. It actually bent one piece of eighth inch thick aluminum before the die disintegrated.

20170412_212503.jpg

20170412_212830.jpg

20170412_213110.jpg

20170412_213814.jpg

Nice job making a little bender.
If you plan to do much other custom bending and want something universal, find a nice one of these...
Wonderful little tools for that kind of work. I believe it a 1A diacro
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1492050846.599204.jpg

I

Now that I understand the capabilities, I would love to own a Diacro bender. I just can't justify the cost. My cost to make this one was less than $50.

Great thread. I've learned more here then in the last 5 years.

Jim

Back