Seeking Guidance on Bending Project

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
This small steel part is from a 1930's snare drum. There are 16 of them on each drum. I'd like to replicate them as near as possible. Ultimately, I'd like to make many more than 16, perhaps several hundred. 1/8 by 5/8 bar stock is available, and cutting/drilling to size is simple enough. However, I could use some guidance on the bending process. I have a 20 ton H frame shop press (hydraulic bottle jack), but don't have a brake. I also have a 3 ton arbor press. Some questions: 1) Is this a job for the arbor press? 2) will I need goose neck dies for the sharp bends? 3) what method should be used for the curved bend? 4) given that I am new to this... what else do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

20170219_215936 P1.jpg 20170219_215849 P2.jpg
20170219_215817 P3.jpg
20170219_224706 Drum.jpg

My thoughts, based on equipment I have (not doing you much good), would be to bend them on my little Hossfeld bender. It would probably take a little thinking and making a die for the curve ... but I think a guy could figure it out. That curve and skinny bend would be first. Either a die to form that in a single bend or bend the curve, then reposition and put in the angle. The other two bends are easy peasy.

Something else to think about, the profile of that skinny angle and curve is not dissimilar to some vice jaws. I was bending a piece of sheet in the vice last night and would have ended up with similar profile had I kept going past 90*. Build a little jig/block to match the profile. Bend a 90 to start and then place in the jig (in the vice) to bend the rest of the way. You could put the 'tail' of the piece in a piece of 3/4" pipe for some leverage while bending the curve around your die. Then tackle the two 90s and trim to size.

That short foot is going to be nasty because it's so short and because of the holes. Making clean bends with that small an inside radius is difficult. You will want to have full support of the part as you progress through the various bends.

If I were making the part, I would make a couple of forms to secure the part and define the bend. I would make the 90º bends on the feet first because it is difficult to make that sharp a bend. At that point, I would leave additional stock on either end. This will give you a "Z" shaped part. I would then use a jig to form the last 90º bend. Next, I would shape the ends and drill the holes. Finally, I would use another another jig to create the curved bend.

The bending process may be easier done hot, i.e. a bright red heat.

I'm not sure what you have for equipment. This is a simple form tool. Just to give you an idea. It would need a roller to pull the material around the post. The pin would
go through the hole in the part for location and holding the piece. This is not the way I would make it just how it can be done. The other forms would be done first and the last 2 holes drilled afterward. From your picture it looks like there is breakage in the hole indicating they were punched and the hole doesn't look deformed so it would have been punched after forming.

bracke2t.jpg bracket.jpg

I would do it in the H frame press with a couple of dies. Shape the rounded ends on your stock but dont drill any holes yet.
die1.jpg die2.jpg
This being the lower die to form the 1st 90* bend, and the curve. After pressing the upper die, ^ in to shape, whilst it is still under pressure use a hammer to start to fold the ears over. Then release the press, insert a flat plate and press that down on the ears to flatten them. You may need to adjust the dies to allow you to get over 90* to allow for spring back unless you do them hot. You will need to slide the upper die out laterally. Then drill your holes. It will take a couple of goes to get your stock length correct and the correct placement for overhang at each end.

Cheers Phil

Wow, thanks for all the excellent replies. Quite impressed that two different responders would take the time to draw some ideas. This give me plenty to consider. Thanks so much for the advice!

Jim

Follow up question. What material is suggested for the dies?

Thanks

Ideally, (because you say you want to make lots), tool steel. Something easily obtained would be D2 or S7. But there are more knowledgeable people here who could probably pull a dozen different metals out of their heads.

Cheers Phil

I usually use A2 tool steel. D2 is good but work hardens very easily.
Here are a couple of examples - one is a little die set to do 2 of the bends first and the second a roll form for the last bend.

form tool.jpg Roll tool.jpg

Back