Scrap it or try to get it fixed?

usually the only part of those older machines that is of any value is the torch, so that leaves two questions. . . . why is the torch missing and was it the only thing of value ? just sayin'

usually the only part of those older machines that is of any value is the torch, so that leaves two questions. . . . why is the torch missing and was it the only thing of value ? just sayin'

Well it fired up and the fan started running, the fault lights are on as should be. Think about it, the torch takes most of the abuse getting drug on the steel, slag/dross getting blown back into the torch. Who knows.

I just hate to scrop it out like I did my tig welder then met a guy that could have fixed it a week later. Just sayin

Well it fired up and the fan started running, the fault lights are on as should be. Think about it, the torch takes most of the abuse getting drug on the steel, slag/dross getting blown back into the torch. Who knows.

I just hate to scrop it out like I did my tig welder then met a guy that could have fixed it a week later. Just sayin

That would be my luck. Tough call either way. Good Luck

Yea but a torch for that thing is dirt cheap. and all over ebay. Where i aint seen one for yours that I know of. But I'll keep looking

Here's a shot of the connector inside the cabinet. I think that adapter just might be the way to go, I could test it out myself for less than an hours bench rate.

DSC01700.JPG

I think one of these chinese torches would work in conjunction with the adaptor linked to above. http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-80-pilot-...639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2335c6125f A little further research on your part should get you up n running fairly cheaply.

I'm a little perplexed as to why the end of your whip has 4 connections plus the high amperage while most others only have 2 connections plus the high amperage. Generally speaking, the two wires are just a switch loop. Is there an electrical schematic inside your machine?

Edit: I think I just figured out what the other wires are for. They're for the pilot arc!

Plasma cutters are kind of like welders, but they just have a higher open circuit voltage. One way to test it is to check the voltage, then try to strike an arc, maybe with a thin carbon or graphite rod.

I think one of these chinese torches would work in conjunction with the adaptor linked to above. http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-80-pilot-...639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2335c6125f A little further research on your part should get you up n running fairly cheaply.

I'm a little perplexed as to why the end of your whip has 4 connections plus the high amperage while most others only have 2 connections plus the high amperage. Generally speaking, the two wires are just a switch loop. Is there an electrical schematic inside your machine?

Edit: I think I just figured out what the other wires are for. They're for the pilot arc!

Yes there is a schematic inside the case, one side has all the electronics, the other side has discharging the capacitor/input wiring/torch connection & type which says Magnum pct 60 plasma torch

Something just dawned on me that this is a 40, the tag inside the cover calls out a 60 torch, the power cord is a 3 ph 4 wire not using the 4th wire, it is wired for single phase but the tag in the cover shows both hookups, wonder if this is even the right cover?

I robbed the power cord to use on my Lincoln tombstone as it was only about 3' at most.

I'll probably order that torch in a few days and give it a try, Wonder if consumables are readily available state side?

Back