Scrap it or try to get it fixed?

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I have a Lincoln Procut 40 plasma cutter that is missing the entire whip/torch I have no way myself knowing if it works (other than the missing torch) is it worth fixing $300.00 for a new torch or should I just scrap it out? I really don't know how much copper is in one of these. I'm tired of having a bunch of non working machines sitting around eating up space. I need a plasma cutter but I need a working one.

I was told by a hobby type repair guy that I needed the torch just to even test it.

I have a Lincoln Procut 40 plasma cutter that is missing the entire whip/torch I have no way myself knowing if it works (other than the missing torch) is it worth fixing $300.00 for a new torch or should I just scrap it out? I really don't know how much copper is in one of these. I'm tired of having a bunch of non working machines sitting around eating up space. I need a plasma cutter but I need a working one.

I was told by a hobby type repair guy that I needed the torch just to even test it.

You could wire it up and turn it on to see if it powers up, but to test it you will need a torch. I would take it to your local welder dealer that has a repair facility and get it checked out. Might be worth the cost to find out.

that is a tough one.... but i'd say scrap it unless your gut tells you otherwise.

i have done stupider things than spend $300 to see if something works though.

a good plasma cutter will set you back a lot more than 300:pondering:

Yup, take it to a Lincoln service center and ask them to analyze it and then locate a whip and torch on Ebay or at any number of welding supply sellers on the net. That will tell you whether to scrap it and decide whether to get a torch if it does work too.

Bob

beg or borrow a whip to test it?

Pretty obsolete machine and after talking to repair place with $90.00 an hr bench rate she is probably gonna head to the scrap yard. Is there anything that might be inside of this that may be of any value such as transformers for other uses?

I don't know what is inside ,but I always open things up and look if I am going to scrap them .... maybe someone needs parts for a similar machine....ebay has been a good source for me , as far as finding what people are looking for. I check to see if any parts are listed and selling, usually do pretty good, well I should say I make a few dollars and get to see what the insides look like.

High powered it up and it turns on all the lights work, It does have is a whip it just is not have the torch on the end of the whip. The product code is 9628-1 Which is needed to buy any parts for this thing. If any of you feel Inclined to search for a torch for me I would be very very Grateful.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Could you snap a pic of how it hooks to the plasma? I did ome looking and found some that say "fits all plasma with x,y,z connection" then list a few makes and model and just say's "many more"

Could you snap a pic of how it hooks to the plasma? I did ome looking and found some that say "fits all plasma with x,y,z connection" then list a few makes and model and just say's "many more"

This is the end of the whip where the torch goes, I hope that's what you needed and not inside the plasma cutter itself.

There has to be an old broken unit in somebodies shop in the corner somewhere where I can get the parts.

DSC01699.JPG DSC01698.JPG DSC01697.JPG

Back