SB 9A Cabinet underdrive lathe

ottrunner

Registered
Registered
I have come by this old beauty, an underdrive 9A, 1946ish I am guessing.
$_1.jpg
Yes, it doesn't look like much and is well worn but I intend to polish it up to the best of my ability. (which may not be much)
It came with another complete headstock which appears to be in great shape, photos to follow.
3 and 4 jaw chucks, steady rest, taper attachment and collets.
It also has a coolant system powered by a hoover motor so it is period correct I think if not original to the machine, I'm not sure and plan on removing it.

The price paid was $350 Canadian pesos.

"restoration" under way.

Welcome back to the forum!
Looks like a worthwhile project!

I'm not sure how worthy it is but I am certain to enjoy the process.

It's all there and hopefully the wear offers a reasonable working envelope when I'm finished.

Curious. What is an underdrive lathe?

Curious. What is an underdrive lathe?
That is one that has the drive motor underneath instead of behind the lathe like the small lathe on the left. The larger lathe is configured like an under drive.20190429_102400.jpg

It's footprint is actually smaller. The cabinet in only 48 x 22 inches.

I do like that about this little 9". If I can pull it off it might find a nice place in the garage.

I almost have it clean, first step. The thing was filthy when I picked it up, you'd get dirty just looking at it.

!!Did you have to show the seller your gun when you went to pick it up??!!
Helluva deal!!!

I picked up a 7x10 mini lathe in the deal and sold it less the qctp and tooling that came with it, the lathe actually owes me nothing, I made money on the trip after all expenses.

I really like the lathe, it is well worn though.

It actually came with an example of what it was used to build and the tooling to do it, will take pictures later as those here may find it as interesting as I do.

edited:spelling

This can came with the lathe and inside are this collection of tools and an example of the finished part I believe the lathe was used to create.

20210207_160723.jpg
20210207_160736.jpg
20210207_160832.jpg
Not in 1946 but it's most recent undertaking.

Back