SB 9 Back Gear will not stay engaged

RVbeemer

Registered
Registered
I finally got the lathe up and running but, when I put the back gear in it runs for a few seconds and kicks out. Okay so I go to the pdf files and find the back gear maintenance page and it tells how to adjust the back gear. My problem is, I don't have the "C" bolt. There is not a hole or bolt , nothing. See pictures. Has anyone else run into this?

Attachments

• South Bend lathe 001.JPG
    South Bend lathe 001.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 48
  • South Bend lathe 002.JPG
    South Bend lathe 002.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 49
  • South Bend lathe 005.JPG
    South Bend lathe 005.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 54
  • South Bend lathe 003.JPG
    South Bend lathe 003.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 55
is there no bolt on the underside of the other end of the backgear? If not, you'll need to take the backgear out and tap that hole. Put a piece of solder at the bottom and then tighten the screw to provide some drag. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it just right, but that should do it.

Wrong parts list.

You need to look at a 9" Jr. parts and maint. book

is there no bolt on the underside of the other end of the backgear? If not, you'll need to take the backgear out and tap that hole. Put a piece of solder at the bottom and then tighten the screw to provide some drag. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it just right, but that should do it.
There is a set screw with a locking nut on the other end but that is for adjusting the gear mesh.

That's what I found. No help. Why would South Bend put the adjustment screws on some models and not others? It looks as if someone pieced together a lathe from various models. I was told it was a "C " model that was converted to a "A" model but don't know anything for sure. Everything works correctly but the back gear kicking out. I know what the answer is, drill and tap a hole in the headstock for a "screw". I was hoping there was another alternative to adjusting the back gear to stay engaged.

The manual you have showing the adjuster is for the post war UMD family. Yours is of the older line shaft driven series of machines.

@RVbeemer What's the serial number on your lathe?
(It's stamped into the tailstock end of the ways)

Back