safety glasses

I was curious about this too and did a test firing a pneumatic pellet gun, set at 500 fps, directly into the lenses of both the Uvex shield and poly-carbonate glasses from 5 feet away. Both items were propped-up with items behind them so they would absorb all the impact and not get knocked away. In both cases, it only made a slight dent in the plastic. It performed much better than I thought. Of course, a larger or perhaps sharper piece of metal might penetrate. I suspect a grinding wheel blow-out would be bad news for those lenses but at the very least, it will no-doubt slow down flying particles -helping to put the odds in your favor.

Ray

i have a pair of cheap, clear plastic safety glasses that are very lightweight, and i often forget their on.i also have a pair of the ones withlights on the sides, but havent used them yet. i insist my 10 yr old son wear safety glasses when doing about anything with me shop-wise. i even make him wear them to run the weedeater. i most often wear sunglasses to ride my bicycles. God only gave me two eyes for a whole lifetime.
this brings up a question, my cheap, comfy clear glasses,either from hf or wallymart,not sure now, how safe are they really? i dont have the package anymore, and didnt think to read it when i opened them. maybe i should get stronger ones? i geuss im trying to say id like to add some talk about ratings, or facts about which ones are better protectors to this very important discussion.

thank you, and im glad to see that so many of us DO protect our lookers:cool:

great point X-RAY .

I think Uvex has a ANSI ? / CSA ratings on their web site catalog.

good to know the differences when buying most products.

I use a full face when using a wire wheel too. those tiny wires can stuck into your nose or cheek pretty deep...
I know how a dog who chewed on a porcupine feels

Hey all , I got a notice that I have not been posting lately, nice touch on the web site.

Been busy with work for a while now, havent been on line much
I finally got my uvex bionic face shield and a pair of good glasses in from Ebay .

Been working on my compressor rebuild when I do get time. yesterday I finally got it going.
Lots of little projects getting done.

road

Hi all,
I retired from NorthWestern Bell/Quest/Centurylink/the telephone company after 36 years still enjoying the pleasure of eye sight. I was outfitted with safety glasses the first day on the job in 1965 and still have sight in both eyes because of them. I started work in the "Central Office" cross-connecting the wires from our dial equipment to the outside world and we soldered every connection. I must have splashed solder from a hundred or so connections and burned my nose with hot melted solder about 1/2 of those hundred times. Finally dawned on me that hurt, and there must be a better way. Figured it out. But those safety glasses had saved my eyes more times than I can count. I even managed to mess up a good pair with a hot pass of steel on a grinding wheel. Cost me a couple hundred bucks, but I learned. I once had a pair of needle-nosed pliers slip and came across my lens. So I am a old-convert to the use of safety glasses.
NodakGary

I have thought about getting one of those Uvex shields in the past but have never ordered one. (I do wear safety glasses, though)

Then I read this thread, got me thinking about one again.

Started looking at google pictures of face shields.

Saw a pic of a guy with half a grinding disc stuck in his jaw.

Ordered two..one for me, one for wife or guest.

Thanks guys, good advice, and 35 bucks each is a heck of a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER. :thumbzup:

(and they look cool, too!)

I'd like to share my life changing experience with everyone so you will think twice next time
when you say " it's only gonna take a second to do this and my glasses are over there , oh
well ".
Roughly twenty some years ago while on the job , we were not required to wear eye protection
and no one did , I was doing a grinding operation and suddenly felt something hit my right eye ,not
painful but knew something was in there. Checked it out in the mirror ,nothing, went back to work.
The pain got worse as the day went on and could hardly even blink my eye.
Fast forward ,went to the emergency room that night because of the pain , they couldn't find a
thing but did give me some good pain meds and an appt. for the next morning to the eye surgeon.
Now at the eye surgeon , looked in my eye with a scope , next my whole head was clamped in
what looked like some torture devise and my eye held open with forceps. Next I had two needles ,
which felt like a #2 pencil stuck in the colored area of my eye.
A tiny sliver of metal had lodged itself in the brown part of my eye and began to rust overnight.
Next I heard what sounded like a dental instrument ,close, but this one had a micro drill bit which
I could see turning as it got closer to drill out the sliver of metal. A larger one was used to drill out
the area that had rusted.
I was lucky , only lost 40% vision in that eye , prescription glasses corrected that . I learned a
valuable lesson , the hard way .
No one enters my shop without some sort of eye protection , even if they are no where near any
of the machining operations.

William

I'm pretty safety conscious to begin with.

I also wear prescription glasses. I bought a half dozen of the over the glasses safety glasses as well as the display box that they came in. I keep the display box next to the entrance of my shop along with a few pair of HF earmuffs. I also hang a face shield on all of the equipment that you need one. I figure if I have to move the face shield just to use the bench grinder, then I don't have any excuse not to put it on my head.

Chris

Back