safety glasses

The best price I can find here is $23.69 plus $17 shipping + taxes

Ouch ...

I will keep looking

Last edited:
these are the Uvex shields I like and want ..

View attachment 65872View attachment 65873

I use those, like e'm a lot. Just go on Amazon and look for the best price. There are two versions of the helmet but both take the same replacement shields. I have one of each and the only difference is the finish of the plastic on the headband. As far as the shields are concerned, they have one version that is slightly more color-corrected and it has a built-in anti-fogging finish. It seems to work but, both kinds serve me well.

When you wash those lenses, soap-up your fingers wet the lens and lightly rub. Then rinse them with lots of running water. They're fairly scratch resistant but, I recommend not to dry them off with a towel but rather, use compressed air. Every now and then, you'll want to replace the shield. Refills are pretty inexpensive and sold by several places on Amazon.

Ray

I guess I should get an amazon account then .
I can get a %15 discount from a friends sales

I just found a post in the Reddit Welding Forum that's very on topic for this thread. Look for the post titled "Wear your face shield folks. There's no reason this can't be prevented"
Hospital pic of a guy with half a cut-off wheel embedded in his cheek, so careful, it's graphic. Goggles would not have helped this guy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Welding/

MikeWi,

I'm glad you raised this issue. I meant to bring it up last night...

Wearing a full-face safety shield (like the Uvex type shown below) is a good step in the right direction and will protect you from many things -BUT, it won't save your bacon in all circumstances. You always need to be mindful and keep the important parts of your body off-line from rotating things -especially grinding wheels. The poly-acrylic shields will certainly protect you from dust, swarf and small projectile pieces but, if something really big busts loose, all bets are off.

Always wear eye and/or face protection but don't be lulled into thinking they work as well as a riot-gear face shield (which happen to be very heavy and uncomfortable).

Ray

I just found a post in the Reddit Welding Forum that's very on topic for this thread. Look for the post titled "Wear your face shield folks. There's no reason this can't be prevented"
Hospital pic of a guy with half a cut-off wheel embedded in his cheek, so careful, it's graphic. Goggles would not have helped this guy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Welding/

Thats funny point Ray I was looking on Ebay today and found some RIOT head gear and had a chuckle...

Good point too Mike Wearing protective gear is just gear on your body, your brain should be in use with it,

I have seen a 6" grinder wheel explode on start up. scary sTuff..

The reason I like a good "head shield"
I have noticed the automatic reaction in a danger situation is to turn your head away. Thus parts fly in the unprotected areas. bang you have an emerg visit.

This thread is more than I expected and is going great.
lets keep going

If you have prescription glasses and don't feel the need for a full face shield, they also make clear rubber/plastic side shields that you can slide onto an existing pair of prescription glasses.
I wear safety glasses daily at work (12 hr shifts) and have tried several different brands and styles. They settled on Truline Assuault safety glasses with the antifog coating. They're light and comfortable for long periods and are only a few dollars a pair.

i have a pair of cheap, clear plastic safety glasses that are very lightweight, and i often forget their on.i also have a pair of the ones withlights on the sides, but havent used them yet. i insist my 10 yr old son wear safety glasses when doing about anything with me shop-wise. i even make him wear them to run the weedeater. i most often wear sunglasses to ride my bicycles. God only gave me two eyes for a whole lifetime.
this brings up a question, my cheap, comfy clear glasses,either from hf or wallymart,not sure now, how safe are they really? i dont have the package anymore, and didnt think to read it when i opened them. maybe i should get stronger ones? i geuss im trying to say id like to add some talk about ratings, or facts about which ones are better protectors to this very important discussion.

thank you, and im glad to see that so many of us DO protect our lookers:cool:

To me, the biggest risk with safety glasses is forgetting how much is NOT protected by them, and I don't just mean your face. They are meant to protect you from something flying more or less straight at your eye, but not from any other direction. For instance I used to be an avid shooter, and when shooting indoors in a booth, a necessary piece of equipment besides the glasses was a baseball cap in order to prevent a stray piece of brass from falling behind your glasses. :yikes: When I use a Dremel tool, I typically hold the work relatively close to my face in order to see, but then stuff wants to fly up under the bottom of the glasses.

Most goggles that do protect all around seem to have other disadvantages for me in terms of vision or ventilation, or comfort. An added factor for me is that I'm too old to wear contacts now, so I have to fit protection over my eyeglasses. All these considered, a good face shield is the best thing for me.

As far as I know any decent pair of safety glasses will be made of polycarbonate, which is a very tough, but soft material, and the amount of shielding around your eye is really the only safety difference between any of them. Well that and price of course. :rofl: Since polycarb scratches so easily, you can find some models that have a scratch resistant coating, and anti fog coatings are nice to find as well.

Back