safety glasses

road

Active User
Registered
I have not seen any posts on this so I thought I would ask.

I have a small garage hobby shop. I work with metals, plastics, woods / fiberglass, basic chemicals like paints & cleaners etc. along with most other various home projects with my machinery --- lathe , drill press , sanders / grinders and hand tools and such.

I realized my old safety glasses are done & tossed them out today.
I was trolling on Ebay for safety glasses just now.

Where do you buy yours from ? What type do you use ? What is your choice ?
What features do you look for ?

Since I wear vision glasses regularly, I sometimes wear these "chemistry goggles" because they fit over my normal glasses. I also use the full-face type when hot swarf is really flying.

Here's my preferred types of eye/face safety.

http://www.harborfreight.com/safety-goggles-3-pack-66538.html

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Po...F8&qid=1385749912&sr=8-3&keywords=face+shield

BTW: I'm always wearing one or the other. Normal eyeglasses do not provide enough side protection to really be effective.

Ray

Last edited:
I don't think that I would have thrown out the old ones until I new ones to take their place. As mine are prescription I bought mine from my optician. Nice steel frames that don't make me feel like Barney Google if I wear them outside the shop.
Michael

I also require corrective lenses, progressive they call them, kind for trifocal. I bought this pair from the eye doctor. They are wrap around and have a gasket to help keep chips out. The wrap around gives me improved peripheral vision I haven't had before. I also use a full face shield when prudent.

Dave

WP_000319.jpg

WP_000319.jpg

I should have stated that I do have a full shield to wear and I wear daily correctives.

great info, keep em coming please

I guess I am lucky. I wear prescription glasses all the time, but due to my job I have to enter railroad and mining properties on a regular basis, both of which require safety glasses anywhere on their premises. As a result, my employer pays for my prescription safety glasses, and I get a new pair every two years. The new ones stay on in my truck, and the old ones come home. :thumbzup:

We have a couple full shields hanging around the shop. I found one that I like and wear it all the time. Heck I have been know to head towards the house wearing one--:think1:

I get them from homedepot of lowes. I wear cheap slip on's most times. I use chemical goggles for sand blasting and some grinding. They are flexible goggles that pull tight around your head. Then I wear a hood with a shield for other blasting. Just depends how harmful the media is

This thread is so important, I am going to move it to the general forum. We probably should have a safety sub-forum there.

Anyway, I was just about to order some safety glasses or a full face shield from Enco because I just got a base for my old Baldor grinder that I want to set up.
I was thinking a full face shield might be better for flying objects, not to protect my ugly mug, but to keep me from the emergency room.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back