Rotary table questions

That's why I bought an 8" and added an 11" plate!
Larry$ I am getting ready to build a small jib crane connected to my tool box to lift Mill tool sets, there isn't any of it light and I prefer to have space to work. Your solution is a great way to cope though.

don't know what it would cost to get the dividing head parts but might find them on ebay new or used.
Thanks for the input!

(from Eisen website)
$255
$235
$465
Plus about $250 shipping from the west coast....ouch.

I'm leaning towards the Vertex setup from Eisen.
CME Tools might be pretty good....but since I can't find any feedback on their rotary tables or any reviews on youtube....I don't want to be "the one".
I think I'll play it safe and spend the extra $$$ for something that's proven.

Thanks again for your input.
Bill

That 's really cheap for the entire kit, plates & foot stock.
Vevor sells the 8" in either 4 slot $174 or 3 slot $206 but no plates or foot stock. They look like an exact knock off of the Vertex that I've got.
My Vertex is excellent, came clean inside, moves very smoothly. I got the 3 slot version so I could mount an 8" 3 jaw that has through mounting. I also found that by the time I use strap clamps there isn't much space left for work. I've made other means of attaching but ended up casting an 11" plate with 8 T slots. (Started out to be 12" but I had some problems with the mold.)
When you get the RT watch Joe Pie's RT videos.

I wouldn't put any faith in the eBay "ratings."
I think I'll spend the extra $$$ for the Vertex setup.
So I can't afford T.P for a month or two............

Thanks for your input Larry!

Tilting is something needed so seldom, you can always build yourself a steel wedge for that *one* job...

I bought a 6" that I never needed, traded it for a 10" that the other guy couldn't use, but I ended up with an 8" Vertex, which I love. Here's why:

1) it is the biggest I can lift myself without help
2) it is large enough to clamp to for most small jobs.
3) the slots let me use my standard 1/2" hold down set (using custom T nuts)
4) it stores in a smallish box out of the way...
5) very accurate
6) small enough to go on the table without removing the vice
7) the dial is large enough to read easily

Why not the 10"

1) too heavy
2) Not much work I do needs the extra space
3) for that odd job, I clamp a large fixture plate on my 8" and take light cuts
Excellent Reasoning Dabbler. I also have an 8". At my age tilting it up out of the box and putting the sling on it so I could lift it with my hoist makes me realize I would never want anything bigger. I have a 1" aluminum pallet that I can bolt to the top if I ever need it. I've got so many other projects it would be somewhere out in the distant future when I am too old to use a bigger rotary table. Its real easy for me to see something A-bom size and fantasize about how I would use it but I have learned as a hobby machinist to make my purchases realistic.

It has been a couple of years ago, but a vendor was offering 2-pound bags of assorted carbide end mills for $75 per bag. I will never regret buying that bag of reject end mills. I have never found anything except no size or label on them. Sizes ranged from .0625 to .625 ball end and flat end 2 flute 3 flute 4 flute and 5 flute. Do they meet factory specs. No or they would not be rejects but they sure will get the jobs done that I do. Carbide is getting cheaper, but these were USA made. some of them would cost as much as $300 each. I needed a 70-degree end mill, and I paid a little over $80 for the one end mill. The sky is the limit when it comes to tooling, but I try to be realistic about how many times I will really use it after the UPS truck drops it off at my house before I click on the Pay Pal button. LOL Enuff of my Babbling but I do 100% agree with you.

Excellent Reasoning Dabbler. I also have an 8". At my age tilting it up out of the box and putting the sling on it so I could lift it with my hoist makes me realize I would never want anything bigger. I have a 1" aluminum pallet that I can bolt to the top if I ever need it. I've got so many other projects it would be somewhere out in the distant future when I am too old to use a bigger rotary table. Its real easy for me to see something A-bom size and fantasize about how I would use it but I have learned as a hobby machinist to make my purchases realistic.

It has been a couple of years ago, but a vendor was offering 2-pound bags of assorted carbide end mills for $75 per bag. I will never regret buying that bag of reject end mills. I have never found anything except no size or label on them. Sizes ranged from .0625 to .625 ball end and flat end 2 flute 3 flute 4 flute and 5 flute. Do they meet factory specs. No or they would not be rejects but they sure will get the jobs done that I do. Carbide is getting cheaper, but these were USA made. some of them would cost as much as $300 each. I needed a 70-degree end mill, and I paid a little over $80 for the one end mill. The sky is the limit when it comes to tooling, but I try to be realistic about how many times I will really use it after the UPS truck drops it off at my house before I click on the Pay Pal button. LOL Enuff of my Babbling but I do 100% agree with you.
One of my thoughts on the Dividing head that I bought is that it has an 8" 3 jaw chuck, if I need to work on round stuff and at an angle it is now simple, I have an angle plate for square stuff....:)

One of my thoughts on the Dividing head that I bought is that it has an 8" 3 jaw chuck, if I need to work on round stuff and at an angle it is now simple, I have an angle plate for square stuff....:)
Splain that

Splain that
I can chuck up a piece in the chuck and the head tilts from +90 degrees to -10 degrees and to make it even more interesting it rotates, it'll index every 15 degrees or divide from 2 to 50 or 52 to 380 spaces. The more I look at it the more useful it appears. Then I have a 10" adjustable Angle plat/table, this one isn't mine but this is what it is.
1707232083205.jpeg

Being able to tilt the indexing head Allows: making a bevel gear (not a perfect one but close enough for slow speed operation.) You can make 3 (or more) corner reamers. But that is more easily done on a spin indexer.
Okay I get it now. You said dividing head and I was thinking rotary table. I also have both along with the 3 jaw chuck.

I can chuck up a piece in the chuck and the head tilts from +90 degrees to -10 degrees and to make it even more interesting it rotates, it'll index every 15 degrees or divide from 2 to 50 or 52 to 380 spaces. The more I look at it the more useful it appears. Then I have a 10" adjustable Angle plat/table, this one isn't mine but this is what it is.
View attachment 477126
I have often wondered how well these adjustable angle plates work. Good to know yours works well. What brand is it?

Back