Rope Cannon

Here's a classic. The "high angle crowd pleaser".
f36c4980a1aebca8f2671d9d04b77066.jpg

I have a mixed bag on the rope cannon. Proof of concept is 100% with the line going right to the plane. The bad news is, despite moving the plane back and forth about 10 feet I could not shake it loose. I had to leave but I think if I could hook the branch just below the plane I could break it and release the plane. I had to leave for an appointment but maybe next time. I welded the cannon to a base plate and put a piece of angle iron underneath to square up the plate with my truck bed and make it repeatable. I also put a threaded rod on the other end to control elevation. I used the side rails of my truck bed as the gunsite. The system worked really well and I was within 20 feet of the plane right and left on the first shot but way too high. I started out at 90 grains of GOEX black powder by volume and ended up at 40 grains. The lighter load put the line carrier right over the top of the plane. If you look close you can see the plane right under the yellow line as it lands in the tree top. This was my eighth and final shot. Here's the video.

Last edited:
That's freaking awesome
R

Back