Rope Cannon

epanzella

Active User
Registered
One of my favorite RC planes is tangled up in the top of a 100 foot tree. . That model plane is no longer available and I want it back. I decided to make a device to use black powder to launch a line up to the tree top to hopefully shake my plane loose. This is a total HAIL MARY but I can't just stand on the ground staring at my plane while doing nothing. I had an old hydraulic jack kicking around that I was just saving for stock and I turned that into a line launcher. Now if I can just get over the branch while NOT shooting a 3 inch hole in my plane this could work.

Attachments

• DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
I used a bow & arrow to do that years ago. I lodged an arrow permanently in the tree on the first shot but got the plane down on the second shot (in a couple of pieces). Good luck! Stand waaay back in case something unexpected happens.

A mini Lyle gun, I like it!

OT: We acquired one of the real ones for our high school "spirit" crew. Solid cast brass barrel with a 3 in. bore about 30 in. long mounted on a steel platform. Paid $80 for it. We fired it whenever the team scored a touchdown. It only lasted one season before administration decided it wasn't a good idea. Can't believe they ever let us fire it at all.

Or you could use a drone to run a line up. A lot more precise. Use some light fishing line to pull a rope up.
This tree is thick with lots of branches around the plane. Very good chance of getting somebody's drone hung up there with my plane. I've had offers but I don't want to make this a bigger problem than it already is.

How about a big hydrogen balloon to lift a piece of lightweight fishing line with a hook? We used to use an old stainless fire extinguisher as a gas generator, with lye and aluminum foil. Gets hot, gotta be careful with lye too
Hydrogen gives more lift than helium- don't remember how much more
Welding shops have tanks of hydrogen also
-Mark
ps be careful with the "cannon" idea-

Last edited:
I don't know how successful you will be with the cannon, but it should certainly be a lot of fun trying :grin big:
Good luck.

Ted

I like the cannon, but you might want to check your local laws. You might have some problems with John Law:no no no:

For lower levels of putting a line in a tree , try what the aborists do. Find a small cloth bag ( like the ones part used to come in) ,fill it with sand ,and attach a line to it. You should be able to clear a limb up to sixty or seventy feet with it. The plus side being when it comes down it won't hurt some one or the tree. We use this type of line thrower to install insect traps in the orchard. Hope you can retrieve your plane with no damage.

In my RC bag, I keep a spool bright colored of grading string and a wrist rocket slingshot. I make those little monkey fists out of paracord and a ball bearing as a delivery system. The key really is to shoot the string up there over a high branch and then shake the tree until your prize falls out. Good luck, and be safe!

Back