Rope Cannon

This plane is 100 ft up. I have to shake a 4 inch branch. I have a slingshot. I have a crossbow. They're not gonna do it without using fishing line and then trying to fish some real rope up there which means the fishing line has to come back down to the ground on the other side of the branch. . I've tried casting sinkers. They instantly get tangled and lost. Guys in our club have been trying all these remedies for years without success except on the lowest hanging fruit. I need to launch a 3/8 inch rope up into the treetops. Besides, What's more fun than doing it with a cannon?

A friend used a potato cannot launch electrical pull string about 100 ft over the top of the branch of a euculytus tree.

Used that to pull guy wire over branch to attach to bobcat to guide it down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't mean to be rude but I would not do that! I work special effects in the film industry and have seen quite a few destroyed mortars. The tubing looks heavy enough but the bottom will more than likely blow off with a charge large enough to reach your goal. Contained explosives are not to be underestimated!

When we build mortars we plug the tube with heavy plate thats beveled for 100% weld penetration. Then the bottom foot is welded on, usually 3/8" or thicker. I have seen them opened up like a frozen soup can!

Use an air mortar or a spud gun, less likely to kill someone!

For RC boats we use a surf casting rod with a tennis ball. I dont see why this wouldn't work for you. I would probably tie a 3/4" hex nut on instead of the ball.
Definitely not as fun as what you have planned!

One of my favorite RC planes is tangled up in the top of a 100 foot tree. . That model plane is no longer available and I want it back. I decided to make a device to use black powder to launch a line up to the tree top to hopefully shake my plane loose. This is a total HAIL MARY but I can't just stand on the ground staring at my plane while doing nothing. I had an old hydraulic jack kicking around that I was just saving for stock and I turned that into a line launcher. Now if I can just get over the branch while NOT shooting a 3 inch hole in my plane this could work.

I probably own 50+ rc airplanes, they're all my favorite. Watcha got in the tree?

I don't mean to be rude but I would not do that! I work special effects in the film industry and have seen quite a few destroyed mortars. The tubing looks heavy enough but the bottom will more than likely blow off with a charge large enough to reach your goal. Contained explosives are not to be underestimated!

When we build mortars we plug the tube with heavy plate thats beveled for 100% weld penetration. Then the bottom foot is welded on, usually 3/8" or thicker. I have seen them opened up like a frozen soup can!

Use an air mortar or a spud gun, less likely to kill someone!
The bottom is not welded. The bore stops 3/4" short of the bottom. Black powder will not blow this up.

Firstram said;
I probably own 50+ rc airplanes, they're all my favorite. Watcha got in the tree?

It's a Tech One Yak 3D. I love that plane!

For RC boats we use a surf casting rod with a tennis ball. I dont see why this wouldn't work for you. I would probably tie a 3/4" hex nut on instead of the ball.
Definitely not as fun as what you have planned!
I have successfully retrieved RC planes this way and gained some knowledge along the way:

When casting into trees with 2, 1/2" nuts and the line gets snagged. Do not, repeat do not, pull the line really hard until it comes loose and the nuts hit you square in the chest.

I drilled a rubber ball and ran a 30" steel leader to it. I use 30 lb. nylon braided line. I can easily lob it some 50 - 60 ft but my accuracy stinks. For use around the building, I will toss a 1/2 l. soft drink bottle filled with water. Less chance of damaging the building. If a bow and arrow are your weapon of choice, they make reels for bow fishing which pay out line smoothly. There is a type of arrow called a flu flu which is used for hunting game in trees. It typically has a blunt tip meant to stun game and the fletching is designed to limit the travel.

Back