Rollout Wheel (Welding Positioner)

The rotation will be motorized with speed control. It will also have a motorized tilt, along with food pedal control. The foot pedal can be unplugged for contestant non stop rotation.
I want to make sure I follow that build thread.

I am working on this today. I already assembled the spindle to the hub (see photos), & got my TIG machine going. I have not done much TIG welding in over a year!

I have 3/32” lanthanated tungsten, a 3/32” gas lens, & my welder is set to 210A max for the 1/4” plate. It goes without saying that my welder is set to DCEN, as I am welding on carbon steel. My 100% Argon is set to 15 cfh.

Today I’m going to see how far I get in welding up the rollout wheel. I don’t have to go to work until 4:30 PM.

I won’t have the steel for the arm or height adjustable stand until Tuesday. That is going to cost about $250, & I won’t have that money until next week. I have to take the morning off of work to go down to the steel yard because they are not open on the weekend.

I expect that I am going to have to remove or reverse the 4 bolts in the trailer hub. I will find that out when I follow along with the instructional video.

06C48A5C-D208-41DE-BEFD-508E264FA720.jpeg
E13E9DCF-51BF-43C7-95D0-E50907A4A966.jpeg
449DCC34-B442-446A-B329-57FAE2BA2EFC.jpeg
0A8D84CA-91E9-4952-881F-4D968B9C73F0.jpeg

Last edited:
I want to point out that this vendor is very responsive to questions. I have texted him 2 questions, and both times he responded almost immediately. Much appreciated!

My first question was about the bolt hole pattern on a metric (200mm vs. 8”) chuck. The second question was clarifying that I have the new style kit, & I had to make sure to watch the most current instructional video.

This is the video that I am following along with:

I cleaned the 3/32” tungsten, filler rod (3/32” ER70S-2) as well as the (1/4” plate) base material with acetone. Here I am ready for my first tack weld:

image.jpg

Last edited:
These are the first TIG tacks on carbon steel that I have made in a year!

image.jpg

Pictures of the action:

image.jpg

(Dipped the tungsten)

image.jpg

Last edited:
I just had to cut out that last tack weld because it wasn’t flush. Here is a picture of it flush:

image.jpg

Back