Rollout Wheel (Welding Positioner)

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Today, I received a rollout wheel kit today from HK Fabrication in Conway, AR.

I will post pictures of what I received.

I get to weld this up myself. I also get to assemble a trailer spindle to a trailer hub. See pictures of these trailer parts that I bought from Tractor Supply.

The used plain back 8” 3J scroll chuck that I bought should bolt right on, but the chuck does not include a lathe chuck key or mounting bolts.

If I make my own lathe chuck key (which I prefer), is mild steel good enough? I won’t be tightening the chuck too much, as the chuck is only holding the pipe (or tubing) for welding, & never for machining. Maybe I could make the body of the chuck key out of 4140 prehard.

I will get to choose which welding process to use for welding this rollout wheel kit. The last project I did was all SMAW, so I won’t choose that.

I just got a new tank of acetylene that I haven’t tried yet. I always love to gas weld, but I have been doing a lot of gas welding lately. As such, I should choose GTAW or GMAW because it has been awhile since I have used either one of those processes.

I will choose GTAW (never my favorite process for carbon steel) because I think my wireless foot pedal is out of batteries.

Last edited:
What I received from HK Fabrication. All of the plate is 1/4”:

C432EC25-7CBD-460E-B9C3-9BAD166E2AAC.png

33445354-A6F2-46C0-B0EA-96B82DAD5DC5.jpeg

137A6D25-A434-498E-A33C-195935C18322.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a used Bison chuck for $324 delivered.

B13B608D-F739-4947-B725-D99EB1DE36B4.png

I was thinking about buying a very economical chuck from mainland China for as low as $150 delivered, but I have been trying to only buy Chinese products as a last resort.

Also, the Chinese chucks are advertised as both 8” and 200mm; most are marked 200.

The Bison is 8”, so the Bison is pretty much guaranteed to bolt right on.

Here is what the manufacturer (HK Fabrication) when I inquired about this 8” versus 200mm question, telling them that I was probably going to buy a Bison:

“Bison shouldn’t be an issue. We rarely have them not line up. Normally it’s really old ones or China knock offs.”

My point here is that I just wanted to go to with a sure thing (i.e. the Bison bolting on to the rollout wheel).

Last edited:
This rollout wheel kit is designed to fit in a 2” I.D. trailer hitch, usually in the back of a pickup truck.

I will be putting my rollout wheel inside a 2” I.D., .25” wall square tubing arm on a fixture stand. This arm will be about 36” long, so the arm *must* be supported by a sturdy, height adjustable stand.

The load of rollout wheel kit + chuck + pipe can be up to 120 pounds extending out as much as 5 feet (!), so if the support stand fails, then the whole work bench will come tumbling over. If I bolt the work bench to the wall (which I will), I’m sure that the plate would pull out the plywood bench top if the support stand were to fail.

My fixture stand will be used indoors sometimes (only for GTAW, & bolted to a welding table), & outdoors most of the time (all other welding processes, & bolted to a wooden work bench).

The only thing that I will leave out in the weather (covered with a tarp) is the base and mast. My fixture stand has 3 arms, & there is no need for the arms to be out in the weather.

Last edited:
Relevant videos:

and

I like this video from the 7:40 mark:

Finally, this one from the 4:01 mark:

Last edited:
You should keep an eye out for a lower price chuck, bison is pritty up there with the finest stuff.

Might be a good horse traiding thing for somone who needs a chuck upgrade

My 40's or 50's bison 8 inch still repeats to 3th or better.

Unless its a had a lot of late days and no suppers and been put away wet as some may say :)

Rotator thing looks interesting.

Stu

Coincidence I'm going to be building a welding positioner later this year, stay tuned for the build

Coincidence I'm going to be building a welding positioner later this year, stay tuned for the build
Is your positioner going to have a motor, or is it manually operated like mine?

The rotation will be motorized with speed control. It will also have a motorized tilt, along with food pedal control. The foot pedal can be unplugged for contestant non stop rotation.

Back