Roll Pin Tolerances In Aluminum Vs Steel?

If it were my project it would already be done. I am dealing with a picky older guy that is driving me nuts. In the end I will spend $100 on materials and taps and reamers and lose my &ss but have pins and taps etc for a future project that will never materialize.

I work in a machine shop as an employee now but had previously owned my own shop for 20 years, my best advice to people like that is "Get Out Of My Shop", If as indicated there will be some domestic repercussions from this approach just tell that you can not do it.

Better yet send them to another shop that you do not like, expect an irate phone call from them however.

I work in a machine shop as an employee now but had previously owned my own shop for 20 years, my best advice to people like that is "Get Out Of My Shop", If as indicated there will be some domestic repercussions from this approach just tell that you can not do it.

Better yet send them to another shop that you do not like, expect an irate phone call from them however.
I must agree with Wreck Wreck. You have a far bigger customer problem than a machine problem.

Good luck. And that's in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I won't have a problem getting it done, and again I learn another lesson. :p Over the years I have always been easy, when it comes to helping people. And it almost always backfires. I have over the years got rid of all (almost all) of the so called pests that hose me time and time again, with the exception of the inlaws. But there is always a weak moment where I accept a so called small job as I like a challenge. In the end I will be proud of my work even if I just break even. But next time...:grin:

The guy has never been to my shop as I am just a hobbyist but I know him as a customer of my wife as she cuts his hair. Very nice older guy and retired parts man. Very easy going and easy to sit around and talk with as he is pretty handy and mechanical and has some skills and a small shop himself. He even said "whatever it costs is fine" but I am too easy and know that requires fair judgement on my part. After I accepted the job after looking at the parts he wanted made, even though they were more complex than a plain hinge, we sat around and chatted for a while. Then he mentioned he took a hub to a machine shop and needed a slot and two holes drilled and tapped for a collar type lock and the guy charged him $35. Then I explained to him (even though he is old enough to know this) that I hear the same thing all the time. People need to understand the machines cost money, the tooling costs money, the ordering of the steel and aluminum cost time and money, etc... That is when I knew I was going to be lucky to break even. Just like when I weld something for someone. They always like to say it only took 5 or 10 minutes. :p I am the fairest(cheapest) guy on the planet and people would still try to get it for less. Must be the area I live in. I have a friend who works on airplanes and once a guy brought in a fuel tank that had a small split in the top less that an inch long. He fixed it and charged $225. I said WOW, I would have got $25 if I was lucky. All my fault as I used to work at auto dealerships growing up and although I made less than $10 and hour being ASE Certified Master in the field, I always felt sorry for the customer getting "ripped off" by the dealers high labor rate. I only sold the customer what was really necessary and not do the overkill to make my paycheck bigger by hosing them too. I am just too damn nice!

I must agree with Wreck Wreck. You have a far bigger customer problem than a machine problem.
I agree. Its like I admit I am the problem by falling into this trap time and time again, but have been really working on making it better. I knew a guy many years ago that was self employed and will never forget what he always said. "I'm expensive". And the people wanting home improvements knew up front and if they were ok with it, he did the work and did it well. If they didn't want to pay, he had no problem and was always busy.

I'd be concerned about wear on the moving part of the hinge with a roll pin. The slot or edge of the spiral depending on the type is going to cut the aluminum. A solid smooth pin as you suggested is going to cause less wear.

Greg

I wanted to ask, is that your dog in your avatar pic on the left of the screen? We just got a new GS puppy about a month ago to replace our last one that we lost in November of last year. We have always had German Shepherds. Great dogs.
schemer

DSCF2242.JPG

Schemer, cute puppy. When I got Saddie it was too cold for her to be out for long, so I'd put her in my parka when snow blowing with the tractor. Now if it has an engine she has to be on it, rides the atv, snowmobile, boat, and the tractor, not easy to see with her on my lap.
puppy.jpg
Great dogs, she never lets me out of her sight.

Greg

Schemer, cute puppy. When I got Saddie it was too cold for her to be out for long, so I'd put her in my parka when snow blowing with the tractor. Now if it has an engine she has to be on it, rides the atv, snowmobile, boat, and the tractor, not easy to see with her on my lap.
puppy.jpg
Great dogs, she never lets me out of her sight.

Greg

Nice looking GS. My male GS named Voltage, is 11 weeks old today and his ears have been up for at least 2 weeks now. Still a pup and keeping us busy but soon we will have him under control. Here is a more recent pic.
Schemer

DSCF2366.JPG

Wish I had the energy these puppies have. I've had mix breed, border collie and a golden retriever, all great dogs but the next will be another GS.
IMG_0962.jpg

Not uncommon for us to put over a hundred km on the sled or atv in a day. She'll ride till she gets cold then run for a ways to warm up.
She'll sit in the jeep with the top down when Im away from it, friends have tried and she won't get out for them if Im not around.
Greg

Roll pin -.003 od of pin works for me. Dogs ,Rottweilers get my vote , all new dog owners and dogs should go to obedience classes beginner and advanced , teaches owners more than the dog if it has a good instructor

Wish I had the energy these puppies have. I've had mix breed, border collie and a golden retriever, all great dogs but the next will be another GS.
IMG_0962.jpg

Not uncommon for us to put over a hundred km on the sled or atv in a day. She'll ride till she gets cold then run for a ways to warm up.
She'll sit in the jeep with the top down when Im away from it, friends have tried and she won't get out for them if Im not around.
Greg

Our last GS loved to ride in the car, truck, or van and sat in the passenger front with one arm (or sometimes both) out the window and looked almost human. More people driving next to us in traffic and on the highway would be snapping photos of him all the time. I told my wife I will have to take this new puppy out on my motorcycle but I think that would be a bad idea. I used to live in Wisconsin and I sure do miss my snowmobiling days. Nice sled you have there. Great pic too. :)

Roll pin -.003 od of pin works for me. Dogs ,Rottweilers get my vote , all new dog owners and dogs should go to obedience classes beginner and advanced , teaches owners more than the dog if it has a good instructor

Good info on the pin clearance for future reference. Thanks. We bought the best books for GS training written by the Monks of New Skete. But training is still a great thing to get.

v

You live on Earth I suspect.

Yes. I guess it happens to most everyone and I am just too easy. :grin:

Back