Retaining clip pliers

Spent over an hour on one clip the other day on a hydraulic cylinder with "good set"...hogwash, lots of cussing, gashed finger thru glove, just all around bad day... The minute I saw your recommendation I could clearly see the solution I needed Thank You ! I am now waiting for my Knipex to arrive before I even try reassembly. I didn't realize Knipex had these, I have had some other Knipex adjustable/locking pliers in 3 sizes for over 20 years and when the blue handled ones can't do the job the Knipex set comes out of the drawer and have never failed.

How about removing star washers also known as push nuts or whatever they are called.

1588819393029.png1588820432575.png

Anyone have a tool to remove these, we get quite a bit of equipment with these washers fitted which makes it difficult to service.
They are usually a bit of a struggle to remove without destroying the washer and pin that they go over.

We usually use needle nose vise grips and squish them when they have a raised lip but sometimes they are very flat which makes them very difficult to get under the edge, on those ones the only way I've managed to loosen them is to use a fine sharp screwdriver and pry open one of the tangs without hopefully stabbing myself with the screwdriver.

A friend of mine that did assembly and repair work for several of the big box stores, made a tool by taking a fuel line removing tool, and grinding the curved lips down 1/2 or 2/3's. you have to work each side under one at a time, then use a screw driver under the tool, to push up. The idea is to push the clip from the inside, right next to the axle.

wmr-w83114_ml.jpg

How about removing star washers also known as push nuts or whatever they are called.

View attachment 323489View attachment 323493

Anyone have a tool to remove these, we get quite a bit of equipment with these washers fitted which makes it difficult to service.
They are usually a bit of a struggle to remove without destroying the washer and pin that they go over.

We usually use needle nose vise grips and squish them when they have a raised lip but sometimes they are very flat which makes them very difficult to get under the edge, on those ones the only way I've managed to loosen them is to use a fine sharp screwdriver and pry open one of the tangs without hopefully stabbing myself with the screwdriver.
If I had to remove a lot of those star washers everyday, I would make a tool for it , I'm thinking something like a gear puller but a smaller version with two small jaws , and a screw in the middle the could be attached to a cordless drill .

75-100-150mm-US-Two-Jaw-Puller-Bolt-Gear-Wheel-Bearing-Puller-Electrical-Materials-Bearing-Ext...jpg75-100-150mm-US-Two-Jaw-Puller-Bolt-Gear-Wheel-Bearing-Puller-Electrical-Materials-Bearing-Ext...jpg

I HATE those things.
They are NOT designed for repair.

I tend to use a Dremel and cut-off wheel, or snip the circumference and toss them.

Of course, then you gotta replace them with something, meaning you have to start stock them too, or find an alternate.......

-brino

Back