Retaining clip pliers

How about Channellock? (926)? I believe they're still made in USA but for some reason doesn't seem to get as much respect as it used to.
I have one of those and although better than the cheap craptastick ones from HF or similar, they still are not that great. I would vote for the Knipex if I was going to buy another set.

Those Channellock are what made me buy a set of the cheap imports, which were a vast improvement for the stiff internal rings I was working with.

Got the 8-piece precision Knipex set yesterday and they are really nicely made. You can see the pressed in tips on these; they are not ground in place. I don't see any travel restriction screws on these but that's fine. Overall, a really nice set that should be the last I need to buy.

The quality level is on par with my NWS plier set. If you haven't seen those tools, have a look.

The ones I got are too big, I need ti research for the smaller tips.

The ones I got are too big, I need ti research for the smaller tips.

The Knipex 8 piece set has both large and small tips. A bit more expensive to buy but it is a pretty complete set. 4 each with large or small pins. Within each set of 4, there are inside and outside, straight and bent jaws.

There are two 8 piece sets available. One with jaws that have the pins ground on the tips of the forged jaws and the precision set with pins pressed into the tips of the jaws; the latter is more expensive but the angle and shape of the pins is supposedly more precise. The cost for the 8 piece set is about double that of the 4 piece set.

This listing was the best I could find for the 8 piece precision set. They accepted an offer of $170.00, shipped FexEx from Germany for free. I bet if I totalled the money for all the other crap pliers I have owned it would have equalled or exceeded this cost. Buy once, cry once.

I've owned just about every type of these things including the ChannelLock and the ones shown directly above. Only the Knipex are worthy of an investment IMO. Far superior to the stamped metal flexi-joint junk.

I've owned just about every type of these things including the ChannelLock and the ones shown directly above. Only the Knipex are worthy of an investment IMO. Far superior to the stamped metal flexi-joint junk.

Now that I've seen and tried them, I am inclined to agree, David. Thanks for the recommendation!

Back