Retaining clip pliers

I have a Mac tools set with interchangeable tips and I think they suck big time. I may have to invest in that nice 8 piece Knipex set so thanks for the heads up on the brand, David Best!

Can't go wrong with Knipex. They are by far my favorite pliers manufacturer. I bought my very first Knipex pliers off the Matco truck in the late 90s/early 00 & I was hooked. I own way too many Knipex tools now. I don't have any of their snap ring pliers though, not yet anyway, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. I'll wait till my others finally give up.

I needed a set to remove snap rings on a back hoe. The pins are 1 3/4" dia. The cheap set of interchangeable tip pliers I had just twisted when I tried to spread the rings. The Knipex did it with no issues.

Joe Hynes

How about Channellock? (926)? I believe they're still made in USA but for some reason doesn't seem to get as much respect as it used to.

Looks like a nice set.

I decided to buy the Knipex precision set. I spoke to a mechanic friend about the Gidore and while he didn't own it, he said the bulbous tip on the arms might get in the way. He said the Knipex that he does own has no issues. He pointed out that the Knipex precision set has hardened tool steel pins instead of the one-piece forged jaws on the standard set and he recommended the precision set for that reason. He also said the Knipex set has a limiting screw so you can avoid over-expanding external rings; Gidore doesn't have that feature. So, I just bought the 8-piece precision set in the canvas roll on ebay. Hope it works as well as advertised.

Back