Restoring a Rockwell/Delta Disc/Belt Finishing Machine

Great work Paco. Excellent addition to the shop.

I like the fact the top of the belt is guarded. Mine isn't and I tend to eat grit and sparks at times.

Thanks Alan,
Planning on some low profile castor brackets so I can roll it around. Two sets to be exact as Mark will need some for his new Jet but need to measure up his machine cabinet first.
I did the same style of castor brackets for the cold saw.
IMG_0331.JPG
You can see the machine is 1/2" off the floor.

While where talking castors, I made some for my Ellis saw some years back. I know you mentioned wanting to have the ability to move your Ellis without busting a nut.
Here ya go.
IMG_1137.JPG
Not as shiny and pretty as your new baby, but she still cuts like a champ! I plan on moving her inside this year and she will get a makeover at that time.
Peace, Paco

Great work Paco. Excellent addition to the shop.

I like the fact the top of the belt is guarded. Mine isn't and I tend to eat grit and sparks at times.

Thanks Dan,
that guard required some TLC as did the end guard.

Paco said, " I can save you some time when you get the S/N to me"

I was finally able to get hold of my friend who has the sander in his garage. Its still quite buried, but I did manage to get the serial number and model number.
Serial Number LE 7722 Model number 31-710. It looks like it will take a lot more work to get it into usable condition. The left outside guard is missing and the
top guard is mostly missing on the left side. Both belt rollers spin freely, and no rust.
He had taken the motor out of the base and it is a Dayton 1.5HP, 120-240volt single phase 3450 RPM, sealed motor. Is spins freely and quietly and is currently
wired for 220. It will take a lot of work cleaning out junk from his storage space in order to get the thing out the door, but I was able to fish the motor out and now
have it in my possession. I would prefer to run it on 120V but if necessary I can get 220 to it. Thanks for any info you can dredge up for me. With my current schedule,
it will be a month or two before I can really get to working on it. Its just wonderful to be "retired"

CHuck

You are probably familiar with the 120/240 tradeoffs. But just in case... The 240 only draws half as many amps, and therefore alllows smaller wire size (if desired), and has lower line losses. And those line losses are out of 240 instead of 120, so percentage loss is way less. I had a tablesaw on 120, took a moment to spin up to speed. I rewied for 240 and it came up to speed basically instantly. However, 240 takes up two breaker spots in the panel.

After working on vehicles and house maintenance over the past few weekends, I finally got some shop time in. I made some castor brackets for the Rockwell allowing me to glide it around the and lock it in place. The rear portion of the cabinet tapers in toward the top so the back brackets are broken to 82º with a piece of flat strap spreader (1/8" x 1") to keep the cabinet from "oil canning" as the large motor opening is located above the castors. The front castor brackets where broken to 90º and is sturdy against the cabinet. Both front and back brackets have inner backing plates with nuts welded (capture nuts) to elevate the need for tools while installing.

Rear castor brackets.
IMG_0954.JPG
Front castor brakets.
IMG_0955.JPG
Todays forcast calls for 104º, so I thought mother nature can bake it for me.
Tomorrows heat calls for 110º, Monday's 114º and Tuesday's 115º. :devil:
IMG_0958.JPG
I'm also working on vacuum recovery system as these machines are messy.
Thanks for looking.
Turn and burn!
Paco

Paco, nice work as always! Look forward to seeing them installed.

Also interested to see what you come up with regarding dust collection. You're right, they make a heck of a mess. I catch some the majority off a KMG that I have in pan of water.

Yeap, your weather is a bit hot isn't it? I guess you got your monster swamp cooler running full speed and using 25 gallons of water per hour! Stay cool and drink cold beverages. I'm having a "la Balita de Plata" as I type this. Small, very cold, and refreshing.

Thanks Allen,
Swampzilla is keeping me comfortable for the time being. I'm sure in a month or so when the humidity creeps up during monsoon it might be a different story but then again the temps drop into the 80's (I'll save some H2O).
I'll post some pictures of the vacuum set up as I go.
Enjoy your beverage.

Paco -
I envy your swamp cooler. Tempe's temps are forecast to be about the same as Tucson's, and I have no way to cool the garage. Guess I'll have to stay inside and work on tutorials for SolidWorks.

Back