Recommend a good pocket calculator

What do you do if the angle is given to you in mils and you wish to convert it to degrees? Flustered

If you're talking about a change of Y mils over a distance X: angle = atan(Y/X).

My favourite so far is the old HP 32SII. Although only for desk work at my PC.

I got this one while still in school - about 1990. It is still absolutely spotless.
I had one of those back in the early 90's and loved it, but it was stolen after a couple of years and when I went to replace it it had been superseded by the 48G which I got and still use every day. But I did like the form factor of the 32S better.

I'm getting older and so used to it now I have been looking on ebay, etc for a spare in case something happens to it (before they become 'collectable' and too expensive)

Hey guys, I have several pocket calculators but none that's my go-to calculator.
Yeah, me too. I keep a few solar calculators (TI and Casio both are good) and a slide rule in the shop,
but when fingers are greasy... 'Siri, what is two plus two' will sometimes be the pocket calculator
interface of choice.

When I was studying engineering we weren't allowed to use calculators only log tables and or slide rules, so I never bothered getting a serious calculator, on the odd occasion I need to do some calculations I use the calculator in my android phone , works good enough for me.

My friend, you are dating yourself. I still have my K&E sabre complete with the orange scabbard. Started school in 69.

One of my more amusing memories, while a chemistry student at U of Texas, was seeing an (obvious) engineering student with a calculator case on one hip and a slide rule case on the other. That was in the early days of calculators, and battery life was limited.

If you're talking about a change of Y mils over a distance X: angle = atan(Y/X).

Not "miles", mils. There are 6400 mils in a full rotation. Mils were more popular in an era where it was desired to eliminate "fractions" of a degree, to simplify the math. On the average, you can express angles more accurately using mils rather than degrees, since 1 mil is about 1/18th of 1 degree. They are still the "norm" in some environments. My main point is that if you are willing to learn the math, you can work yourself out of more problems.

Not formally so for me, but the $400 for the first HP scientific calc (this was in the 70's) was an effective disqualification. The slide rule I had was good enough for what was needed. I remember a bucks-rich student using his calculator to give an answer down to 4 decimals (3.1412 or some such) , and the professor said that 3.1 was good enough. So much for $400 vs $40 (and that was for a fancy slip stick) :)

BTW I still have mine.
Me also, and I still occasionally use them.

My friend, you are dating yourself. I still have my K&E sabre complete with the orange scabbard. Started school in 69.

Whose dating themself now, I finished school in 59 started my apprenticeship in 60 finished that in 66, 69 I was studying to become a marine engineer.

And here I thought a "mil" was .001 inch. I've been making stuff wrong for years :grin:

Excel spreadsheet then Casio fx 2200, The Casio is at least 30 years old, maybe more. Battery life is good. I have a couple of books concerning machinist data and I like the challenge of doing the research and calculations.
Have a good day
Ray

Back