Recommend a good pocket calculator

stioc

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, I have several pocket calculators but none that's my go-to calculator. I really like my Calculated Industries https://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Industries-8510-ProjectCalc-Calculator/dp/B0011Z5VCK that I got about 10yrs ago before getting into machining and fab work but it's missing the trig functions. They do have the 'pro' version and a machinist version but I'm leaning towards the 'pro' one. Or may be just a basic Casio/TI trig calculator.

Anyway, what do you guys use/like that have functions useful for fabrication/machining/DIY stuff?

Not looking for an app based calculator.

I have used Casio calculators for the last twenty years, at lest. My FX270w plus is probably fifteen years old and still on the original battery despite almost daily use. I have had a fx260 solar as well for more than a dozen years.A far cry from the $100+ TI SR50 that was my first scientific calculator back in the seventies, today's scientific calculators are available for around $10.

They all do the same job. The differentiators are display size, key size. You will most likely only need the trig functions in addition to the basic four banger. TRhere are machinist's calculators available that also includ various machining related functions but they tend to be relatively expensive.

I depend on my TI 36X - Solar, but I'm not sure they are still available.

Or they have an app... I love the app....

Or they have an app... I love the app....

Wow, the app is impressive and it will now always be in my pocket. Thanks for the tip.

TI 89. It is definitely overkill, but every other calculator I had died after 5 or 10 years.

I depend on my TI 36X - Solar, but I'm not sure they are still available.
I can't believe somebody else still has one of those. I've lost track of how old mine is. At least 25 years. I use it every day. It might be a little big to be called a "pocket" calculator, but definitely no larger than hand held. Or a large pocket.

Edit: You might want to look at a Machinist Calc Pro 2. A little pricey and I’d say more handheld size than pocket size, but does a ton of machinist related calculations. I use mine a bit for machining and would use it for every day stuff if I didn’t already have the TI.

Tom

Last edited:
Solar TI-30 since my college days , it's all I need . I have about 5 of those higher end calcs from my kids that I can't figure out ! :grin:

Back