Recommend a good pocket calculator

I have an HP11C and an HP12C depending on whether it’s for business or pleasure. :)

(Scientific 11C and financial 12C)

I have used Casio calculators for the last twenty years, at lest. My FX270w plus is probably fifteen years old and still on the original battery despite almost daily use. I have had a fx260 solar as well for more than a dozen years.A far cry from the $100+ TI SR50 that was my first scientific calculator back in the seventies, today's scientific calculators are available for around $10.

They all do the same job. The differentiators are display size, key size. You will most likely only need the trig functions in addition to the basic four banger. TRhere are machinist's calculators available that also includ various machining related functions but they tend to be relatively expensive.
One of the ones I have is a fx260 solar (don't like the solar only calcs but it's not too bad even in dim lighting). It works fine, even has fractions, basic trig functions but no built-in Pythagorean calculator that I'm aware of. I was looking at the $17 fx115Es that has really good reviews and seems to have a Pol button so I should be able to do pythagorean calcs quickly https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W7SGLO/

Calculated industries have some very nice calcs, even with my cheapie I listed above I find it very useful when just adding numbers in different systems (feet+inches+yards etc) without doing the conversion first. I can do similar stuff with the fx260 but I have to know how many inches in a yard etc...so not fast/easy. I just can't decide if I should get the ever popular construction master pro (Desktop size sounds nice now that I'm past 40) or the machinist specific one that someone mentioned above. I usually don't look up feeds/speeds often though, it's the general conversions and Pythagorean, and trig functions.

I often use a spreadsheet for machining calculations. It's been useful because I can also include notes to explain (later to myself) what the thing does....as long as I remember to SAVE the spreadsheet :D

The one negative about spreadsheets is the trig functions expect or return angles as radians. There are radian<->degree conversion functions but you gotta remember to use them, and know which one to use.

Solar TI-30 since my college days , it's all I need . I have about 5 of those higher end calcs from my kids that I can't figure out ! :grin:

TI-30 solar for me too. I have 2 or 3 of them over 30 years old. Never needed anything more.

My favourite so far is the old HP 32SII. Although only for desk work at my PC.

I got this one while still in school - about 1990. It is still absolutely spotless.

Hey guys, I have several pocket calculators but none that's my go-to calculator. I really like my Calculated Industries https://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Industries-8510-ProjectCalc-Calculator/dp/B0011Z5VCK that I got about 10yrs ago before getting into machining and fab work but it's missing the trig functions. They do have the 'pro' version and a machinist version but I'm leaning towards the 'pro' one. Or may be just a basic Casio/TI trig calculator.

Anyway, what do you guys use/like that have functions useful for fabrication/machining/DIY stuff?

Not looking for an app based calculator.

I have a casio FX 83MS

It has a history / replay function that I find very helpful.

Caluculators seen at thrift shop / flee sale can be helpful , low cost = handy workshop oily hand fodder. :)

Stu

I often use the calculator app on my phone for regular and scientific also have a machinist specific app that has a bunch of handy calculators like Sine Bar, Bolt Circle, Speeds and Feeds, 3 Wire Thread measuring, etc.

Sorry, couldn't resist....
Good one! I saw them live a few years back, definitely the most conservative rock show I've ever seen.

I often use the calculator app on my phone for regular and scientific also have a machinist specific app that has a bunch of handy calculators like Sine Bar, Bolt Circle, Speeds and Feeds, 3 Wire Thread measuring, etc.

Good one! I saw them live a few years back, definitely the most conservative rock show I've ever seen.

I never saw Kraftwerk live but back when I was a working sound engineer this was my go-to for testing systems.

John

Back