Received my PM949 and PM1340GT!!!

Alex,

The M4 bolts pass through the M5 threads without any modification to the reader head.

Chevy
Indeed they do, I actually did try an M4 bolt and it felt like the threads bit but guess I had it a hair off. Sounds pretty straightforward if a bit fiddly to do. Thanks for the response and patience!
Alex

I used the same procedure as Chevy, except I marked the hole location with a transfer punch.
And yes it was a little nerve wracking drilling holes in a new machine!

Thanks for the guidance Chevy (and Matt and GyroMike) got it installed, As you can see it ain't perfect the reader head is slightly askew but within

X axis DRO scale.jpg

tolerances, I'll hook it up tomorrow to be sure it's correct but as far as I can measure it seems correct. Bloody awful instructions with it tho'!
Alex

Things have been quite busy in the shop that I forgot to post the pics of my knee scale install.

As usual I opted to make my own brackets and mounting hardware than use the supplied "L" brackets. This was a bit of a challenge because of the taper on the Mill's column but everything worked out great.

The mount can be dialed in via two setscrews on the top and on the bottom end of the mount, similar to how the Y axis scale mount was done. The only difference is the top of the mount uses four standoffs because of the column's taper. These standoffs got the mount roughly parallel to the travel of the knee and the set screws were used to dial it in to within a couple thousands over the entire travel.

47083980161_f403058ecd_c.jpg

40119218663_d12fff6df0_c.jpg

40119219813_4ea8049975_c.jpg

Chevy

Very nice job. This is quite interesting as I'm also preparing to do the 3 scales install on my 949TS.

The read head on the Z axis is cantilevered some distance from its mounting point on the knee. Any issues with vibration shaking the reader? Like a tuning fork effect?

Chevy

I think I need to purchase a ticket, fly down and inspect exactly how you accomplished such a clean install. While I'm there I hope to figure out how you keep your shop so pristine. I'm thinking all of the work will require about 10 days. Okay if I bunk down with you for the duration?

Mind you, this has nothing to do with the endlessly dreary days here in New Endland or the fact that you live in a tropical paradise; it's all about setting up a better shop....

I thought it was an operating room...

Very nice install.

Back