Received my PM949 and PM1340GT!!!

Sounds great Alex,

The most important thing about placement of controls is the it's comfortable to the operator.

I don't have Mark's proximity sensor for back gear, for me it's not a big deal to switch the motor to reverse.

Anyone that visits the shop always ask if I do actually work there lol. I like starting my day in a clean shop, so the last hour of everyday I clean up and oil down my tools.

Chevy
Thanks for the thoughts Chevy, must admit that shop does look GOOD!!! Mark has responded to me about my control questions and I think the concepts are starting to sink in.
Alex

Finished up the X and Y axis scales on my mill.

The X was very straightforward.

The Y axis required a little more effort. Since the casting on the knee is not perfectly flat I made a mounting bar out of 1/2" x 1.5" aluminum bar with adjusting screws on each end. Once this was indicated in it provided a flat parallel surface to mount the scale to. The scale was then dial indicated in to be parallel with the axis travel. I didn't want to use those hideous angle brackets that came with the kit so I machined all the brackets myself. The mounting bar also has two M5 tapped hols on top of it to mount the scale cover. I did this to keep the installation compact as possible. The cover is made from .0625" aluminum angle.

The Z axis is all that's left to be done now. After depending on dials for the last year I'm looking forward to using this machine with the DRO.

45322134162_fcf9c12588_k.jpg

44458647145_b5228b7050_k.jpg

44458654375_4381a9f510_k.jpg

45322133902_7206d92f61_k.jpg

43556312790_95d59b0f21_k.jpg

45322147632_31dda02ce4_k.jpg

Chevy

Last edited:
I'm impressed, it just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the motivation to go clean my shop.

I like to start in a clean shop each day as well, but the last guy in there never seems to cleanup;)

I'll have a talk with him tonight.

David

GEEZ Chevy, now I gotta get into my shop and finish up my mill install, you've done a FABULOUS job of that install AND of motivating me! I've spent the last two weeks catching up on Yard work that got behind since we were basically out of the country until the 15th of October. VERY nice install, you set a high standard for the rest of us (well me at least)
Alex

Chevy, I'm not mounting my DRO and I'm doing the X axis first, should be straightforward but the mounting for the sensor which bolts directly to teh knee has NO adjustment option as far as I can see. AND, I have serious doubts as to my ability to drill two 4mm threaded holes in the knee to hold it within the tolerances (about 4 thou) spec'd in the instructions. How did you handle that - or am I being a bit to anal?
Alex

Hey Alex,

Having to drill holes that have no provision for adjustment can be a bit nerve wracking.

Here is how I did it. First of all take your time, no need to rush.

1. Install the scale to the table first. This way its held in place. I mounted the bottom of the scale body flush with the bottom edge of the table.
2. I then trammed my scale in to within .003" over its travel. Its beneficial to do this first so that when you drill the holes into the saddle there is little to nothing to adjust after.
3. Center up the read head on the back of the saddle.
4. Find a drill bit that fits snug into the holes of the reader and use it to center mark your first hole. Be sure that the spacer for the read head in installed so the head is gapped properly to the scale.
5. Move your read head out of the way and carefully center punch your marked hole.
6. Center drill your hole.
7. Drill and Tap for M4.
8. Move your read head back into position and bolt down the side that you just drilled and tapped on the saddle.
9. Mark your second hole.
10. Move your read head out of the way and punch, spot, drill and tap the second hole as you did the first.

I did it that exact way and it came out perfect. It helps if you use a stub (screw machine length) drill instead of a jobber. The shorter drills are easier to control especially in a tight place.

Regards
Chevy

Last edited:
Hey Alex,

Having to drill holes that have no provision for adjustment can be a bit nerve wracking.

Here is how I did it. First of all take your time, no need to rush.

1. Install the scale to the table first. This way its held in place. I mounted the bottom of the scale body flush with the bottom edge of the table.
2. I then trammed my scale in to within .003" over its travel. Its beneficial to do this first so that when you drill the holes into the saddle there is little to nothing to adjust after.
3. Center up the read head on the back of the saddle.
4. Find a drill bit that fits snug into the holes of the reader and use it to center mark your first hole. Be sure that the spacer for the read head in installed so the head is gapped properly to the scale.
5. Move your read head out of the way and carefully center punch your marked hole.
6. Center drill your hole.
7. Drill and Tap for M4.
8. Move your read head back into position and bolt down the side that you just drilled and tapped on the saddle.
9. Mark your second hole.
10. Move your read head out of the way and punch, spot, drill and tap the second hole as you did the first.

I did it that exact way and it came out perfect. It helps if you use a stub (screw machine length) drill instead of a jobber. The shorter drills are easier to control especially in a tight place.

Regards
Chevy
Chevy, thanks for the quick response, the block on the sensor is threaded M5 0.8 so running even M4 bolts thru does run into threads, did you ream out the threads on the sensor block? to allow the M4 bolts to pull the sensor to the knee? That's my plan at this point.
Alex

Back