Reasons to Keep Smaller Lathe

Should I Keep or Sell the Craftsman?

• Total voters
Hi Guys,
I had to update you on my dilemma. To make things even worse, I came across a man who was desperate to empty out his storage unit and wanted it all gone before he was to go on vacation the next day. His craigslist ad stated he had a South Bend lathe for $200. In the posted pic, the lathe was in taken apart where the tailstock and headstock were off the lathe. I thought to myself that, even if it's missing parts, I can still sell on ebay what he's got. I was extra broke and told him I could only offer $120. He said he'd sell to me. When I got to his storage unit, he also had two steel vintage tool cabinets. He offered them to me for free. :) . The lathe turd out to be a SB model C (no qc box, only 1 axis auto feed) and it was set up for v-belts. It came with tooling, including a homemade milling attachment, collet holders, cutters, a 5" 3 Jaw chuck, a 6" 4 jaw chuck, jacobs drill chuck, and homemade boring bar holder. The only thing missing was the countershaft. Now, I have a bigger dilemma. I want everything to magically fit my 1 car garage. Oh, I also have a 1946 Delta wood lathe, surface grinder, mill drill , table saw, Wen laser drill press variable speed, 1940's Craftsman drill press, 1930's Craftsman belt sander, router table, and so on....I really fell in a deep rabbit hole.

I would still get the southbend you mentioned in your first post and sell the one you just got for $120 :courage:, southbend parts are still sought after , people pay good price for them up here.

Sounds like you're going to have to move your bed, stove, tv, etc. to the garage. Put the important stuff (machine tools) in where you have more room!!

Only solution is to get a bigger garage!! I've been unloading some of the woodworking tools to gain back some room to work. I have a 3 car garage...

Rich

Hi Susan. I am in almost the same situation as you. I have owned a Craftsman 109 lathe for a while and just bought a Southbend 9. It is in good condition, but is missing some important parts. For one thing, it needed an MT3 spindle center. The Craftsman was able to make one, and it fits fine. Now to make a few more parts. It is sure nice to have a running lathe, even if it is kind of light. By the way, if you have any parts from that extra South Bend that you don't need, I am in the market for a few.

Here is the deal. I have 3 lathes (4 if you count my wood lathe) and there have been times when there was a single setup part on the big one, I was fixing the smaller one, and I had to turn a part to fix it on the ....

HF 7x10 tiny lathe. I am actually in the process of converting it to CNC, but in this one instance I had to put it back together to make the part for the other one. LOL.

Since I bought a American pace maker a couple of years ago .i don't think I have even started either of the 2 820 Logan's. They both have qc gear boxes but it's so much easier to thread on the pace maker.
Thanks scruffy

Tool Hoarders Are Us. Seems like we need to have a counseling group .

Some 7 years ago I build a slide shed that would fit on a flatbed trailer and was moveable with forklift. I fit it with supply cabinets and items I didn't need to have in arms reach. Garage was open for a while, now I have the same problem again.

SHED_2.JPG

Side%20Yard%20july4-2011%20%285%29.jpg

I did a camo job so it blended into the house.

Back