Reasons to Keep Smaller Lathe

Should I Keep or Sell the Craftsman?

• Total voters
I had a 12X36 lathe (which I sold due to my advancing age), a MaxiMat7", a Sherline lathe and two watchmaker's lathes. Since I think I have a few years left I will keep all of them. When I can no longer use them I will just sit reminiscing and enjoy looking at them. I love all my tools.

YUPP , if YA Need the money or the space ,sell ,,,,, if not there may be a time you could use the second lathe. Use it for dirty job or a job it's good at .

I would probably let it go on to a new home since you are replacing it with a small one, although better model of lathe. Make room for more desirable machines. But, I would not give it away either. A 9" SB A lathe is a light weight too. Its all about condition though. Its amazing what folks will pay for old light weight American iron, its "vintage" and interesting to many. My favorite machine in my shop was made in 1941, old stuff is cool or more like Hot these days!

I have an Atlas 618 (6") and a Logan 1825 (10"/w quick change gear box). Started out with the little 6" and upgraded to the 10" to make threading easier and accomodate larger parts. I thought about selling the Atlas, laughed about it, and forgot about it - I'm keeping both of them :)

John

you can NEVER have too many lathes :grin:
I guess you would know, eh?

Im in same dilemma, every time I look at my little Logan 9B, I like it more and more. Even though I have an 11" lathe and no room, sure be nice to keep both.

One earlier poster said it best .- keep the lathe in best condition -e.g. Least wear! making parts with the correct Dimensions, every time you turn down a piece of stock, is the single most important thing there is about a lathe.

Overall, If it's not worn out, Your new SB 9" is likely the better of the two - but only if it isn't worn out. Check wear on the ways and look for wear patterns on the bottom of the saddle and tailstock. Tailstock is easy - If the machined surfaces are not worn down, consider keeping the SB and selling your craftsman - or use the craftsmen for turning wood!

Glenn

If you don't already have a mill you could put a milling attachment and a collett sys. to hold the end mill on the Craftsman . Also I don't see a tool post on the 6" . If you decide to keep the 6" I would get this tool post , http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3112 . The original lantern type TP can be frustrating to set up . How much tooling came with your 6" ? Mine came with some good stuff but I still need quite a bit .

I had a chance to get a 12x36 like new Central Machinery lathe for a song. The only problem is that he wanted my "tuned" HF mini lathe in trade. I took the deal (and came out smelling like a rose) but I sure miss that little lathe at times.
I justified the trade at the time by figuring how I could replace the mini and still be way ahead financially. I didn't think enough about all the work I had in tuning the mini and gathering and making special tools and accessories that went away with it. Now other things have come up and it looks like it may be a long while (if ever) that I get another small lathe.
I still think I made the right decision but I would have been better off trying to trade him a new, off-the-shelf HF mini and keeping mine!

Back