Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

$70K just for an empty tool box set??
Did I miss something?
I use to see new techs come into my shop and would only buy Snap-on. After about six months I saw Home Depot tools, Pittsburgh etc.
Snap-on make nice tools but come on.
(8) 10mm sockets-----$299

Snap-on 11 piece torx set. 3/8" and 1/4" drive = $500

Proto, same set $96.

Nothing wrong with Proto in my experience. Save $404

This from a retired dealer service manager?

Tools should make you more than they cost IMHO.

John

This from a retired dealer service manager?

Tools should make you more than they cost IMHO.

John
The problem is trying to start out in the business with the burden of acquiring your tools can be very challenging.
One of my favorite old mechanics would never buy sets, he only bought what he knew he would use. He bought a snap-on box when he started out in the 60’s and it was the box he had when he retired.

Very few boxes have imperial tools anymore. That’s a plus.
You can still buy quality without getting screwed.

You can still buy quality without getting screwed.
And that's the key! Snap-On tools are great. It's just that their prices are absurd and no one would actually part with that much cash for said tools, but offer a young guy credit...
Aside from their awesome auto diagnostic computers (and admitting that I might be ignorant of something else) they sell nothing that you can't get as good, for much, much, less.
All that said - if you see a deal on Snap-On tools at a garage sale (I've never seen it, but I've heard it happens), Snap 'em on up!

Now, where were we? Oh yeah. Horror Fraught ...errrr... Harbor Freight. HF has really upped their game as of late. Their US General boxes have been a screaming deal for years, but now they've got the "Icon" stuff. It looks darn good. Probably a detriment to those of us who've snapped up great USG boxes on the cheap... The Icon tools look similarly good. I gotta say, I picked up a few "compare to Knipex (a favorite brand for me)" and they compare very favorably... (They're also a lot more comparable in price...) TANSTAAFL!

GsT

And that's the key! Snap-On tools are great. It's just that their prices are absurd and no one would actually part with that much cash for said tools, but offer a young guy credit...
Aside from their awesome auto diagnostic computers (and admitting that I might be ignorant of something else) they sell nothing that you can't get as good, for much, much, less.
All that said - if you see a deal on Snap-On tools at a garage sale (I've never seen it, but I've heard it happens), Snap 'em on up!

Now, where were we? Oh yeah. Horror Fraught ...errrr... Harbor Freight. HF has really upped their game as of late. Their US General boxes have been a screaming deal for years, but now they've got the "Icon" stuff. It looks darn good. Probably a detriment to those of us who've snapped up great USG boxes on the cheap... The Icon tools look similarly good. I gotta say, I picked up a few "compare to Knipex (a favorite brand for me)" and they compare very favorably... (They're also a lot more comparable in price...) TANSTAAFL!

GsT
I've seen the diagnostic computers that Eric O uses (South Main Auto channel!), and he seems to vastly prefer Autel.

As nice as the Snap On tools are, the fact that they wont warranty them unless you can show you're the original owner, AND have access to the tool truck at your place of employment makes them a non-starter to me. I understand that is enough for a pro where they will come to you every day, but for the rest of us, the inability to get them replaced is a dealbreaker.

I used to go to Sears for tools for exactly that reason, but am now stuck doing the mid/high tier Harbor Freight tools. AND I'm not wasting a paycheck for a socketwrench.

I've seen the diagnostic computers that Eric O uses (South Main Auto channel!), and he seems to vastly prefer Autel.

As nice as the Snap On tools are, the fact that they wont warranty them unless you can show you're the original owner, AND have access to the tool truck at your place of employment makes them a non-starter to me. I understand that is enough for a pro where they will come to you every day, but for the rest of us, the inability to get them replaced is a dealbreaker.

I used to go to Sears for tools for exactly that reason, but am now stuck doing the mid/high tier Harbor Freight tools. AND I'm not wasting a paycheck for a socketwrench.
No argument here! I wouldn't buy a Snap On computer (but I'm not an auto tech, etc, etc), but I see what they can do looking at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostic (do recommend) and some others. I'm a lowly XTool (pretty dang good for the dollar!) guy.

GsT

I wish I could tell all of you what makes Snap-On so great, but for all the bills I've paid while turning wrenches, I've only managed to collect two individual allen key drivers (in odd 64th sizes) and a 3/8 ratchet with my Dad's initials on it from 1972 that's been missing the switch lever since 1973. Yeah, I know there are kits out there, but I can't tell the real ones from the counterfeit ones, because it all looks chinese to me in the photos.

I might have a socket or a double-end line wrench somewhere, but the (blue) point is, the tools never stood out to me as superior, and if they were so great, I'd have a mountain of Snap-On instead of Proto and S-K Tools. But I don't.

$70K just for an empty tool box set??
Did I miss something?

Yeah, but it comes in my favorite color.....

Well, it is 17 feet long, 7 feet and eight inches tall, and 30 inches deep... And pretty likely you'll have the only one in town.

That's also current retail. I don't think anybody with a track record pays retail on big ticket items. The dealer won't be financing that, it's either going through Snap On Financial, or you'd bring your own financing. (Or you've got a VERY successful dealer with a large territory, who might well do financing outside of Snap On for sales that don't belong on a revolving account. I'd venture to guess if you had five years of (relatively) on time payments, and you bought it all at once, it would probably be 50K.

I use to see new techs come into my shop and would only buy Snap-on. After about six months I saw Home Depot tools, Pittsburgh etc.
Snap-on make nice tools but come on.
(8) 10mm sockets-----$299

Snap-on 11 piece torx set. 3/8" and 1/4" drive = $500

Proto, same set $96.

Nothing wrong with Proto in my experience. Save $404

Snap On has made a name for themselves for sure. I'm pretty sure there's some status symbol involved there.

I work out of a 41 or 42 year old Mac MB1700 tool box, which I bought when it was about 10 years old. And a newer Macsimizer (mid late 90's). that I bought somewhere about 2015, give or take. The Macsimiser still works just as it should. I bought it right, so I won't complain too much except there's some things that are poor.... But it's stout, solid, rugged, and is happy to be overloaded, such as I tend to keep it. The old one, the MB1700... That one's overloaded too, and has been for as long as I've owned it. You won't find a new mechanic's grade tool box that functions any better. All original drawer slides yet.
Those two tool boxes, combined- That much cash (not counting inflation, the actual nominal cash I spent) would buy the work center in the photo. The hutch. The empty tin box with a flip up door. Yeah. That one piece with no drawers... They're getting a little out of hand. Multiply that by a very costlybusiness model (involving actual customer service, which is a charity that I'll donate to, within reason), the mobile showroom, serious over head, financing included in the price... There's a reason they're still around, but there's also a reason why it's a dying business model.

The first class yacht toolboxes are for visibility and promotion, part of the advertising budget, like the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile. Nobody who works for a living would dare. (I hope).

Then there's the ironic and just Rod Serling take on it, where the day you make your last payment, you slam a drawer and end up pressed underneath that ridiculous thing like a kid trapped under a vending machine.

With that thought, here's what the guy who owns the 17 foot toolbox drives to Jiffy Lube where he works:

H2-green-and-purple-01-HEADER-1024x576.jpg

One thing that comes up often in threads like this is people seem to think there's only 2 choices in tools. It's either cheap stuff from Harbor Freight or high buck stuff from Snap On.
I have been buying and using tools for over 50 years and don't have much of either of those two.
My hand tools are Craftsman, Thorsen, SK, Palmera (Spain) etc, and my favorite, Williams.
I only have a couple pieces of Snap On.
But I conscientiously AVOID anything made in China too.
If a guy puts his mind to building a set of good tools he can find a middle ground of used but good quality stuff but that takes more time than running down to HF.
I am slowly getting rid of the few China tools I own and my goal is to have zero China tools when they carry me off to the big machine shop in the sky.
Photo of the smallest - 7/16" and largest
- 1 7/16" from my Williams combination set.

Attachments

• 20220829_132925.jpg
    20220829_132925.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 10
I wish I could tell all of you what makes Snap-On so great, but for all the bills I've paid while turning wrenches, I've only managed to collect two individual allen key drivers (in odd 64th sizes) and a 3/8 ratchet with my Dad's initials on it from 1972 that's been missing the switch lever since 1973. Yeah, I know there are kits out there, but I can't tell the real ones from the counterfeit ones, because it all looks chinese to me in the photos.

I might have a socket or a double-end line wrench somewhere, but the (blue) point is, the tools never stood out to me as superior, and if they were so great, I'd have a mountain of Snap-On instead of Proto and S-K Tools. But I don't.
Proto, S&K and Mac are all very good tools according to the techs I worked with. I have heard many times, when you work with your hands all day, quality wrenches like Snap-On are more gentle on your hands. Have you heard that statement??

I have one Snap-On tool. I saw it on the truck, I said order me one of those.
When he delivered it the following week it was $100. I bought it. Should have said, oops, I had no idea, keep it :)

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    550.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 20
Back