Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

There's Craftsman, and there's Crapsman. And then there's the new stuff... Time will tell with the new stuff, but I have, and have had, good use from, old Craftsman products. In their decline I picked up a set of "Crapsman Pro" adjustable wrenches which were almost as good as the Chinese adjustable wrench I wanted. (Laugh now - that Chinese wrench is the finest adjustable wrench I have ever held before or since...). The new stuff seems... better ...but I'm still not sure how much.

I very much like the Euro brands. There's a place I normally buy from (CK somethin' - their marketing is crap or I'd be able to find them readily), but I can never seem to find them until they send me an ad. Wiha, Wera, Knipex, NWS - mostly great stuff, but they make some garbage too. Paying a lot is not a guarantee of quality.

GsT
This is true, I have bought some Stahlwille tools made in Germany, I have been less than impressed. My Knipex stuff is excellent though. I will say Harbor Freights new "Icon" line of tools are excellent! The stuff I have bought is made in "Taiwan" and of excellent quality.

I have some old Harbor Freight "Professional" Air tools, Mostly die grinders, Drills Etc. These are made in Taiwan by "Astro Tools" The part number on them is prefixed by AT- I have some astro branded tools and they have the same AT- prefix on the part number, These air tools have lasted a very long time.

Bought two of these last year for $250 each, and thought it was a great deal. Stopped in at the new store in Craig the other day, and they had the same one on sale for $179. They didn't have the blue in stock, but I was able to prepay at the sale price, and is supposed to arrive on the 17th. You really can't beat these boxes at 3 times the price. Haven't tried the new Icon tools, but will give them a look see. I probably have all the hand tools I will ever need at this point. Mike

1683386907579.png

There's Craftsman, and there's Crapsman. And then there's the new stuff.
I'm only aware of the good old stuff and the newer crap we see in Home Depot.
What is this new stuff you speak of?? New and improved from the crap??

Bought two of these last year for $250 each, and thought it was a great deal. Stopped in at the new store in Craig the other day, and they had the same one on sale for $179. They didn't have the blue in stock, but I was able to prepay at the sale price, and is supposed to arrive on the 17th. You really can't beat these boxes at 3 times the price. Haven't tried the new Icon tools, but will give them a look see. I probably have all the hand tools I will ever need at this point. Mike

View attachment 446972
I agree, I have the red 42" wide, 22" deep and 33" high. I';ve had it for four years. I'm very happy with it!!

I'm only aware of the good old stuff and the newer crap we see in Home Depot.
What is this new stuff you speak of?? New and improved from the crap??
They've fairly recently introduced a number of more premium tools with the Craftsman name. You can tell which ones by the price... I don't really know much about them yet. I miss the old stuff - and the days when there was always a Sears nearby when you needed something.

GsT

View attachment 446972
Looks like HF is trying to move out the series 2 stuff for the series 3 release.

Because I wanted it now I bought a 4L link belt for my newly almost finished Benchmaster . It was in stock for 35. dollars (5') , sorry but compared to McM-Carr at 15. per foot (and I needed 5') not to mention McM's high shipping . I didn't have much choice , I also have one (3L) HF belt on my Craftsman 6" lathe and it's about 7 years old . One day I'm going to test it against a rubber belt . @pontiac428 says , "tails fallow" , I have to admit not all of mine were .
Mark .
IMG_1124 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1121 (1) by mark westi, on Flickr

Because I wanted it now I bought a 4L link belt for my newly almost finished Benchmaster . It was in stock for 35. dollars (5') , sorry but compared to McM-Carr at 15. per foot (and I needed 5') not to mention McM's high shipping . I didn't have much choice , I also have one (3L) HF belt on my Craftsman 6" lathe and it's about 7 years old . One day I'm going to test it against a rubber belt . @pontiac428 says , "tails fallow" , I have to admit not all of mine were .
Mark .
IMG_1124 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1121 (1) by mark westi, on Flickr
These belts are supposed to be better in every way, I have not had the opportunity to use one yet, But When I do, I will have no problem trying them out.

Picked up one of these sets today: https://www.harborfreight.com/long-jaw-master-puller-set-22-piece-58003.html I'd love to know what makes the Snap-On version worth 7x the price... Fit and finish are good. Threads are smooth and tight. Oh, and it did the job! Even for my modest needs I'm happy with this investment. No way I'd spend $1400 on Snap-On, or $1100 on Snap-On via eBay for what can't possibly be any better.

GsT

Back