Randy Paterson is selling everything! I hope someone can take advantage of this sale.

It's was a side trip. I did not take me too far out of my way...
Believe as you want, feel as you want... It's what I did.

I got there with 600.00, I was anxious to give it to him... I left with 600.00. Meaning, I did not purchase snything. He does not live at his shop, about 60 miles away, so I waited nearly 3 hours for him to get there... Than after an hour he left again... I cut my losses there and left right behind him.

Awesome place, he has a bunch of stuff, are you into firearms, he had something like 50 or more barrels there, drill bits all over the place. I saw a bunch in the 1"-1 1/2", and some bigger. His machines were old but they all looked clean and we'll taken care of. Reamers? Boxes of them, sizes like the drills some very large reamers. I saw a few boxes full of them.
Taper 30 and taper 40 tooling, all ericksons
Bunch of other stuff.

Call ahead and schedule with him, he seems like a great guy, just be prepared to haggle, and if other people are there, don't let him leave! It's not easy getting him back

I got there with $400 cash. Left two hours later with $400 cash. What I wanted to buy he did not want to sell. Was not a question of haggling. Just not for sale. But nice trip. And nice fellow.

So, like everything, buyer beware. For the cognoscenti there may be something there, but it is along ways to go. He did say I could ask him if he had something specific, but for me typically one goes to a garage sale like this with more of a happenstance than a planful sense.

-Bill

I kept wondering if it was me. I would make a pile of stuff, he would come by and take stuff off the pile lol
He is going to have a big problem at the end of january.

I had a colleague who once said "if they get that faraway look in their eyes when they are talking about the item in question, it's time to walk away".

/me thinks I'll be holding off. Let's check back at the end of January...

I saw a couple of items I would really like to have, but if I'm to make an 8-hour road trip. . .

I went to a similar "Entire shop contents must go! " sale, a couple of years ago. The owner was in his 80's and had his son-in-law there to "help" There was no pricing on anything, and every time I asked about a particular item, there was at least 5 long minutes of humming and hawing, and then an exorbitant price was placed upon the item that was so far beyond haggling, that I eventually gave up and went home with no money spent.

I think that what happens is, the owner, who is still present, is having a real hard time seeing his life's work being sold off, and has a sentimental value attached to the tools and equipment.

In the case of the sale that I went to, I later saw all of his lathes and milling machines on the local Kijiji ads for at least 4 times what they were worth. I don't imagine that he sold much.

Brian

YUPP sounds like he really don't want to sell but would rather get next to nothing than a reasonable offer. . No way with all that is it going to sell if he won't let go. But in some ways I empathize with him he paid good money for it. He should get a good auctioneer with online bids . He 'll get more back.

Sorry to hear it sounds much like an Erector set buddy of mine who passed away 18 months ago. He went off his chemo in March, 2016 and was given 6 months. An antique shop/auctioneer buddy of his took a truck load of stuff to our national club show in Chicago in July, 2016. I went out in the parking lot to look at the stuff to give him some rough prices. Told him that he would see around 90 tables of Erector set stuff with 85 of them with items for sale; real buyer's market as almost every one is selling. I mentioned he'd probably have a 1928 No. 7 1/2 White truck set that my buddy valued at $600. I knew the set well as I'd carried it to shows for him since 2004. On a good day it'd bring $300, but was worth more like $200. He brought in a bunch of stuff and was asking my buddy's sky-high prices . . . and he took almost everything home.

Frankly, nothing against Randy but sounds like he just isn't ready to sell yet. I had the same problem trying to pry some stuff out of my buddies hands and finally gave up. I'd show him what identical or even better stuff was selling for on eBay, but he still held to his 2 - 3 times market prices. Unfortunately for his widow, he died with more stuff than any one man should own. His kids ended up selling it to a large toy dealer in one lot for about half of market price. It's now starting to show up on eBay under seller "5344" and is going for current market prices. Same thing will happen with Randy's stuff, just hope it's decades from now.

Bruce

Geez guys... I'm almost sorry I mentioned it now. You gotta wonder why someone would say everything has to go and then they won't let anything go. You see it a lot on "American Pickers" , the show. People call them to get rid of stuff and then when they get there , they can't buy anything. Sad! I guess it's a symptom of the collectors disease.

Back