ran the #12 table past the limit!!

eddysykes

Active User
Registered
I hooked up my #12 today for the first time and I ran the powerfeed past the limit stops and now its stuck!!
I was showing my wife how cool the power feed was and I didnt even think to look at where the table was when I started it
The power feed didnt have the stops so I ran the table all the way to the left and it cut out and jammed up pretty good.
How do I back the table out? I dont want to make it worse by just yarding on it..
Thanks in advance
Eddy

I hooked up my #12 today for the first time and I ran the powerfeed past the limit stops and now its stuck!! ...
The power feed didnt have the stops so I ran the table all the way to the left and it cut out and jammed up pretty good.
How do I back the table out? ...
Thanks in advance
Eddy
Hi Eddy,

Did you damage your right side handwheel bracket?

Try pulling the right handwheel and unbolting the bracket. You should then be able to back the table up with the left handwheel without needing to remove the Woodruff key on the right.

Let me know if that works.

I don't know why so many No. 12s show up with the permanent feed stops removed. I guess over time its inevitable that a moron will come along and take them off to get a little more travel. For everyone else, I you're missing either one of the permanent stops, which have tapped holes to locate them, it's only a matter of time before you wind up like Eddy.

Cal

Cal do you happen to have a picture of what the perm. feed stops look like? i have always wondered what the tapped holes are for at each end of the T slot where the move-able feed stops are.

Thanks

Todd

Cal,
Thank you very much.. it worked as prescribed!
THe bracket is undamaged and as soon as I backed off the bolts I was able to give the drive shaft a twist and the engagement detent popped out and it was free!!
Making the stops today, and I was wondering if you had a drawing or if there is a file on the server here.
I cant access the downloads until I have x number of posts it seems..
THanks again
Eddy

- - - Updated - - -

Also,
I found your drawing of the tit-key and made that yesterday. Thanks again, fit great!!!
I got a set of collets from cheap tools and everything worked out good except for the threads on one of the collets.
It was pretty crappy and I was wondering what the pitch is so I can chase them a bit.( I dont have a thread gauge)
Or if by any luck there is die that I can get that will make the job easy.

Eddy,

I should have confirmed that the table was traveling to the left when this happened. (If it was moving right, the solution that I suggested won't work.)

Todd,

Here's a photo showing the fixed stops:
IMG_8208.jpg
I don't think that the geometry is critical.

Cal

IMG_8208.jpg

the table has traveled all the way to the right, and is NOT free..
Not gonna get into it, but how is the fix different now?
Thanks a ton cal.. you have been a huge help so far

- - - Updated - - -

photo-3.JPG This is a photo of the condition!
yuck

photo-3.JPG

the table has traveled all the way to the right, and is NOT free..
Not gonna get into it, but how is the fix different now?
Thanks a ton cal.. you have been a huge help so far

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 68388
This is a photo of the condition!
yuck
Hi Eddy,

It's been a while since I was into this part of the machine, but IIRC, you need to remove the left bearing lock ring, part #21-353 (see attached diagram). It has 3 holes for a face spanner. If it's jammed really tight you may need to make a custom spanner that engages all three holes. I have a way to make one, but you need access to a lathe and drill press.

When you unscrew the lock ring it should take the pressure off the leadscrew so that you can back it off.

Cal

page 12 - table feed mechanism, left.png IMG_8323.jpg IMG_8326.jpg

Cal do you happen to have a picture of what the perm. feed stops look like? i have always wondered what the tapped holes are for at each end of the T slot where the move-able feed stops are.

Thanks

Todd

The holes are usually fixed dead stops whether you use movable stops or not. Make sure the contact switch hits the stop.

Another tip, I learned the hard way, be sure to loosen the table clamp(s) before engaging the power feed. I wiped out the brass nut under the table on a BP.

Great.. I have both.. Lathe and DP.
Clockwise or counter clockwise ?
It looks like someone did the same thing once or twice and the holes are pretty hacked up with what looks like a cold chisel.. I will try to use a reamer or just drill them out
Ok, thanks again Cal.. I will keep you posted

I think it's a right hand thread, but I'm not sure.

Do you have a face spanner like the one on the photo?

Cal

Back