R8 & 3/4” Shank Tooling Holder

I am compelled to weld that socket joint, but that is only because I love to do that. Who could resist that .050” steel to (.125” to .250”) steel opportunity?

If we can think of an alternative to where I can break down the shelf, I would be just as happy to execute that idea on the shelf and then scratch my welding itch somewhere else.

I could also weld up three shelves and then connect these to each other with sleeving inside the tubes. I like to hide my fasteners where possible. I could make the sleeves (out of pipe) tight enough to hold it together yet loose enough to be able to break it down.

I am also thinking about putting this on wheels, adding heavy feet or (hopefully not) bolting it to the concrete floor. It was never going to sit on the thin walled tubing.

It will be regularly showered with chips, & I sweep almost daily. Locking casters would be good, if only for sweeping. I have no compressed air.

Last edited:
For the bottom plate, if you weld/bolt the leveling castors so the support tubes do not go through the holes, they are captured by weight. Tim's diagram is perfect.

You do realize Al and steel do not like each other, Correct ?

I know that you cannot weld the two together. That’s why I put the steel frame under the aluminum shelf, with the idea of welding the steel frame to the steel tubing.

Back