Question? That I'm Sure Has Been Beat To Death

Thanks Christian I was planning on a aloris style QCTP of the Imported type

would you suggest a inserted type parting tool or HSS if the later which one P1P2 or what ever
Well, for a parting (cut off) start, and maybe stay with: 1pc. HSS "blades" (Because most of the time the % of parting off will be seldom unless you have work that you're always parting off))....Because until yoose' get your set up (rigidity, speeds and feeds) down...especially on anything tougher than alum, or mild steel), it's easy to snap off the insert and snap off (ruin) the insert holder (blade)

Last edited:
talvare thanks for the reply I have read it.

I appricate all the replys about HSS and am not in the least bit worried about grinding a tool bit, grinding is what I'm best at I'm asking about insert tooling

Bill thanks for your reply I have looked at those , but the carbide stuff seams less expensive Or am I missing something

Nope, you are correct. Arthur Warner inserts and holders are expensive. Good stuff though and made here in the U.S.A.

"Billy G"

LOL you do realize the HSS inserts and holders are available??

"Billy G"

http://www.arwarnerco.com/
...which brings to mind (Hey! I heard that!)...some where around these pages are some links (pictures) of cheap import carbide boring bar sets (short, braised ones for mill and lathe) and longer ones (both carbide and steel shanks with inserts...(and there are various cheap sets for all of it (lathe and mill work)...

I'm trying to stay friendly here but sometimes the truth will set you free (well, me anyway LOL)...

...I have been given some of these cheapos' (no telling what grade or process details the carbide is) from vendors including 2 sets of 9 short boring bars in a nice little wood holder that are #@&%* (except for on aluminum and leadloy)

IMO some of this, it seems, and I bet, give carbide a bad name...

Just to add my 2 cents; I bought the Authur Warner inserts and holders and thread cutting kit. I still like the thread cutting holder and insert. Not so much the other holders. I've moved up to using carbide inserts and like them better. Here is a good place to check on QCTP http://www.cdcotools.com/

Danny, do you have a project in mind? Material? All these things can make a difference to what tooling is required.

Cheers Phil

Back