Question? That I'm Sure Has Been Beat To Death

danny12

Registered
Registered
Hello all I've finally decided to just ask and hope for the best, I've been reading and reading but as you all know the subject I'm asking about is a little over whelming.

I have a little Montgomery ward 700a I don't have any tooling for NONE! so I defiantly want to go with a QCTP
and some insert tooling, I will learn to grind HSS but would like to get to making some chips and take some of the learning curve out of it.

1. what size tools would be better 3/8 or 1/2"
2. taking into consideration inserts are their any tool holders and boring bars that use the same insert and what size bars would you recommend
3. I've read a hundred threads on parting tools and honestly am scratchin my watch an windin my azz
4. also inserted threading tools

I guess I'm asking knowing what you know now what would you buy . I'm not afraid to spend a little more now to save a little later. that said I don't really think I need top of the line

I know it's hard to spend another man's money but you fellers that have already been down this road,
I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks Danny

P.S. If this is in the wrong topic please move it, (And tell me where it went LOL)

Good question, and you will get good answers. Some different, so you will still have decisions to make, just not as many.

westsailpat, yes that lathe is like the one I have.
I do have a set of those boring bars that came with my "Mill" ( really nice drill press).

I know where to find the stuff it just get kinda confusing looking at it. and am more interested in insert tools than the brazed carbide. Even more so a diecent set of tool holders and a couple sized boring bars that use the same inserts that wont break the bank
Yes I will be using HSS

I probably need more advice on a parting tool than anything I don't think it really needs to be carbide inserted but not sure

For quick change toolposts and holders Aloris is great, but I prefer KDK (adding as needed (when I can afford them! LOL)...(Even a 5c collet holder for boring bars) is available:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/kdk-tool-holder

IMO 3/8" HSS (and later braised carbide) tool bits are a nice fit depending on your lathes swing (is it around 9" to 12"?)...1/4 is a little small for me except for really small lathes, and 1/2 is pretty big (Although I have a few (carbide) I used with my Logan...

...I make (have made) my own boring bars with carbide silver soldered (.010 "sheet" and "black mud flux") on solid carbide shafts (up to 1.000" dia., 1 ft long monster!)

...however; For threading, grooving and cutoff, IMO, you're ahead by eventually buying a 3/8" insert holder (1 RH for starters) like Kenametal's Top Notch series)...they hold both various threading and grooving (various widths) inserts but as you can see, they're also not cheap:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/88228762
....Just a note that mine looks like this but holds the inserts "straight" on for OD threading and grooving...
...for ID threading and grooving I also have home made boring bars (although I would like to have a set of Top Notch indexables but are even more expensive!)...But I have to sharpen and/or form mine until I have to take the torch to them again and replace the carbide...

...for small cut off (but bigger than a gooving insert will cut off): Kennametals insert blades are great (one that fits the KDK holder): http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...etal+insert+cutt+off+holders&navid=4287923755
...but again: Big bucks!

....now I just gotta' find another lathe to use all this good stuff LOL (The buyer of my Logan got the old rocker/lamp post tool post and holders (and I still have a bunch more in a box I dug out (for some insane reason) of the metal hopper (scrap) at work...

PS: I guess I should add that my size KDK's will accept up to a little over 3/8" and i have one bigger one (RH) that accepts up to a little over 1/2"

Last edited:
Thanks Christian I was planning on a aloris style QCTP of the Imported type

would you suggest a inserted type parting tool or HSS if the later which one P1P2 or what ever

Back