QTCP debate

I've never known anyone with an Aloris style (I include Dorian and the knock offs) to complain about them.

Let me be the first.
I don't like the height adjustment and the central stud/nut sticking up.
I much prefer the KDK system. The depth adjustment is by a set screw within the profile of the tool holder and the central fastener is a SHCS in a counterbore. Therefore, the QCTP is flush on top.
Also, the tool bit holders hold two tools and can be flipped over adding versatility and speed.

Any Aloris/Dorian type pieces that come into my control are for sale. :grin:

After using a 4-way exclusively for 25+ years, an Aloris along side a 4-way for more than 10 years, I am switching to Dixon. Keeping the Aloris? Maybe, probably not, we'll see. Love my Dixon.

I just realized that a 4 way tool post could be dangerous sometimes...

I tried to turn this oversized pawn. I got everything right, and polished. Just as I was about to part the piece off, this happens...

View attachment 428816

There is another tool inside the 4 way tool post that I did not see at the time, so while I was trying to part the piece off the other tool was quietly cutting into the wood. Then when the tool could no longer cut it, it rips the piece right out of the chuck, taking the parting tool with it, and the insert disappeared.
This happened to me also when turning wood in a chuck designed to hold metal. The chucks for wood turning have sharper claws that have a better grip on wood.

Let me be the first.
I don't like the height adjustment and the central stud/nut sticking up.
I much prefer the KDK system. The depth adjustment is by a set screw within the profile of the tool holder and the central fastener is a SHCS in a counterbore. Therefore, the QCTP is flush on top.
Also, the tool bit holders hold two tools and can be flipped over adding versatility and speed.

Any Aloris/Dorian type pieces that come into my control are for sale. :grin:
:rolleyes:

I was debating getting a quick change tool post, seeing how everyone on youtube has them (none of the major machining channels ever use a 4 way tool post).

Of course there's the Aloris type tool post, and the multifix type. The multifix type being significantly more expensive (and this is for Chinese copies, not genuine American stuff).

Aloris type has the advantage that I can easily DIY machine my own tool holder out of blocks of steel that I can buy cheaply (steel is cheaper than food for some reason), and the multifix type can't really be easily DIY'ed (not to mention everything's more expensive). But multifix tool post allows maximum flexibility as far as tool angles.

Then I found they sell packs of shims designed to work for a 4 way tool post.

One thing nice about a 4 way tool post is that the slot in the tool post is quite large, I can literally bury insert holders into it for maximum rigidity (important for parting tools). I can't do that with quick change tool holders (the slot is just large enough for the tool).

Tell me why should I go with a quick change tool post, considering the significant expense they have, not to mention needing to buy (or make) a holder for every tool I own...

Machining shims for undersized tool to fit a 4 way tool post is significantly easier than machining a tool holder for one...
Being completely new to this hobby.
The 4 post tool head was the first thing I grew tired of. Not having enough thin shim stock on hand when I needed did not help any.

The price for shim stock was enough to justify my inexpensive QCTP. Just annoyed that I had to make a mounting set up for it.

My small machine compound iscto thin and not of the dove tail design

As for needing a place to put the tool holders. Yes more space I dont have lol

I find it interesting to read a "debate" about the superiority of a QCTP vs a 4 way.
I will admit a 4 way in significantly cheaper.
I use an AlorIs CXA and follow a few auction sites - always looking for a couple more tool holders on the cheap.
Aloris and Dorian pieces always seem to fetch rather high prices.
4 ways, when you see them at all, go for small money.
That alone tells you something about the near universal desirability of one style of tool post compared to another.

As my machines got better thru the years I went from a lantern to a 4 way to a QCTP. I don't know what kind of jobs guys are doing that leans towards a 4 way but the stuff I do benefits greatly from a quick change and I consider a 4 way half way back to a lantern. Your mileage may vary.

Just because I'm a bit bored this morning while sitting at my desk reviewing documents, I thought I'd review, for my own edification, the user needs and requirements that pertain to the use of a tool post.

For production or repeat work, or in the days before carbide insert tooling, or when the lathe owner only machines one kind of material, the user needs and requirements will be different. These needs and requirements are for me--a hobbyist with limited time who doesn't want to chase faults or spend time making adjustments to tooling, but who can never predict what sort of operations or materials might be the target of the day.

User Needs:

1. The operator will use different tooling for turning to the left, turning to the right, facing, boring, outside threading, inside threading, grooving, machining special shapes, chamfering, and cutting off.

2. The operator will use different tooling for rough and finish cutting while turning, facing, and boring.

3. The operator will use different tooling for boring large openings versus boring small openings.

4. The operator will use different tooling for machining different materials, such as high-speed steel for softer materials and carbide for harder materials.

5. The operator will adjust the height of each tool for optimum cutting, which may or may not be at the exact center of the workpiece.

6. The operator needs to change tooling quickly and efficiently to a previously defined position.

7. The operator needs to change the angle of the tool position for different machining operations. The operator needs to set the tool angle precisely, and then return it to a previously used angle precisely without having to indicate it in.

8. The operator needs to machine workpieces within the capacity of the lathe without chatter caused by loss of tool support or stiffness.

9. The operator must be able to procure the tool post and holders affordably. (Of course, the definition of "affordable" varies based on context and intentions.)

10. The operator needs to add tooling in the future as special needs emerge.

Based on these user needs, I see the following requirements:

R1. The tool post shall accommodate 15 different tooling arrangements. I picked 15 to accommodate all the needed operations mentioned above plus a few variations.

R1a. Each tooling arrangement shall be separately adjustable for tool height.

R1a1. Each tooling arrangement height shall be retained between uses once adjusted.

R1b. Each tooling arrangement shall accommodate high speed steel bits ranging in size to the capacity of the lathe.

R1b. Each tooling arrangement shall accommodate indexable carbide bit holders ranging in size to the capacity of the lathe.

R1c. Tooling arrangements used for boring shall accommodate boring bars ranging from 1/2" to 1".

R1c1. Tooling arrangements for boring bars shall allow tool stick-out to be adjusted in ten seconds.

R2. The tool post shall allow the operator to switch between tooling arrangements in five seconds.

R3. The tool post shall allow the operator to change the angle of the tool position in five seconds.

R31. The angle of the tool position shall be fixed to defined angles such that the tool position is retained or restored to a previously adjusted position within 0.0005". (or whatever.)

R4. The tool post shall hold the tool as rigidly as the cross slide and compound of the lathe.

R5. The tool post shall not exceed $____.

R6. The tool holders shall not exceed $____.

R7. The tool post and holders shall remain available in the market for a period of X years.

Now, reviewing the options, it seems to me that:

a. A traditional lantern toolpost doesn't fulfill very many of these requirements. It is limited to HSS bits and very long setup times. But if it comes on a used lathe already, it's cheap. :) The lantern post doesn't do boring bars at all--hence the solid blocks of steel I received used to clamp boring bars in place of the lantern post on my lathe.

b. A four-way toolpost doesn't fulfill Requirement 1, unless one is willing to change "15" to "4" (I'm not). And if one exceeds the need for four tools, it doesn't fulfill the requirements for efficient changes or height setting, and it doesn't work well for larger boring bars.

c. An Aloris-style toolpost doesn't fulfill Requirement 3.1. Every time I change the tool angle, I can't restore it back to the previous angle precisely without indicating it in. This constrains the order of operations. Also, for some, the Aloris-style holder may not fulfill the affordability requirements. But it fulfills the requirements for fast changes, at least 15 tool arrangements, boring bars, etc. The main advantage is in the sustainability department. Being the dominant design means it is well supported in the market, and holders themselves are very much cheaper than the post.

d. The Multifix design may not fulfill R5, R6, or R7, depending on the budget and intentions of the operator, and it comes even less close to doing so than other options, particularly if one actually buys 15 holders. And I wonder about long-term sustainability in the market--knockoffs are still being made but they are not nearly as available as Aloris-style holders. I only found a couple of places to routinely buy them, none of which were as easy as ebay or Amazon (or MSC, etc.). Also, the holders are more intricately designed and made than an Aloris-style holder, and so those will be much more expensive (about 2.5 times as much at usual street prices). But it fulfills all the other requirements.

e. One-off designs may fulfill all functional requirements beautifully, but they won't fulfill the sustainability and affordability requirements for most folks.

As with most technology, the more requirements it fulfills, the more it costs. But as I worked this out, I realized that going cheaper than the Aloris-style holder I bought would have left a lot of requirements unfulfilled that are important to my needs, particularly the ratio of time making chips to the time setting up tools. Example: I machined a special shoulder bolt that I bought from McMaster, so that it would replace the broken hollow bolt that retains the nut for the cross-slide screw on my South Bend lathe. I drilled a hole through the middle of the bolt, chamfered the hole on both ends, tapped it for 1/4-20 threads, and then turned down the head so that it would fit flush on the top of the slide to allow free rotation of the compound. That simple project required turning, facing, and chamfering using the tool post. To turn the tool for chamfering, I either had to loosen the lantern post, which would require readjusting the height, or rotate the compound, which requires digging out the allen key for the two lock screws. But I was able to use only one HSS bit for all the operations. Using a four-way would have required separate tools for turning and chamfering at least. I'm eager to get my Aloris-style post mounted, to say the least.

Rick "much ado about nothing" Denney

Back