QTCP debate

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
I was debating getting a quick change tool post, seeing how everyone on youtube has them (none of the major machining channels ever use a 4 way tool post).

Of course there's the Aloris type tool post, and the multifix type. The multifix type being significantly more expensive (and this is for Chinese copies, not genuine American stuff).

Aloris type has the advantage that I can easily DIY machine my own tool holder out of blocks of steel that I can buy cheaply (steel is cheaper than food for some reason), and the multifix type can't really be easily DIY'ed (not to mention everything's more expensive). But multifix tool post allows maximum flexibility as far as tool angles.

Then I found they sell packs of shims designed to work for a 4 way tool post.

One thing nice about a 4 way tool post is that the slot in the tool post is quite large, I can literally bury insert holders into it for maximum rigidity (important for parting tools). I can't do that with quick change tool holders (the slot is just large enough for the tool).

Tell me why should I go with a quick change tool post, considering the significant expense they have, not to mention needing to buy (or make) a holder for every tool I own...

Machining shims for undersized tool to fit a 4 way tool post is significantly easier than machining a tool holder for one...

Your initial premise is false. Cutting Edge Engineering uses a Dorian 4 position tool holder.

I have an Aloris type and it suits me fine. However, I would say if I could afford a Multifix, I would get one. Seems incredibly convenient. But much more expensive.

The import Aloris style tool holders for BXA and smaller are so cheap, it makes no sense to make them. If you have a CA or DA size, then maybe it could be justified. Still a lot of work, which is part of the fun. But if it was buy for $100 or make for cheap, I'd make it. But I can buy a BXA tool holder for $15.

Your initial premise is false. Cutting Edge Engineering uses a Dorian 4 position tool holder.

I have an Aloris type and it suits me fine. However, I would say if I could afford a Multifix, I would get one. Seems incredibly convenient. But much more expensive.

The import Aloris style tool holders for BXA and smaller are so cheap, it makes no sense to make them. If you have a CA or DA size, then maybe it could be justified. Still a lot of work, which is part of the fun. But if it was buy for $100 or make for cheap, I'd make it. But I can buy a BXA tool holder for $15.
I think my lathe requires a CA size tool post. For multifix I need size E. It's a lot of money.

I've never known anyone with an Aloris style (I include Dorian and the knock offs) to complain about them. They are absolutely as versatile as the multi-fix: you loosen the 'main' nut (with a wrench) and turn the toolpost to whatever angle you like. This is fast and easy. I keep a stub wrench on my toolpost because there's seldom reason to remove it. The (import) holders are very inexpensive, but often have junk hardware. Invest in a box of good screws and they're fine. Height is adjustable, so you can do away with shims. You will not suffer any rigidity issues that you didn't have with the 4-way.

BUT...! Do you have a problem with your 4-way toolpost? Are you annoyed by constantly changing tools beyond the four you can load? Do you keep stabbing yourself with the tool that's pointing back toward you? If you're happy with what you have, I wouldn't spend money to get something else.

GsT

I don't have a problem with being poked by tools on a 4 way tool post because I don't keep multiple tools on it. My only thing is the ability to adjust heights without shims, otherwise I load tools onto it one at a time. Not in such a big hurry to change tools.

I have a knock off QCTP and it is nice being able to switch tools quickly and having them at the right height without fussing around with shims. I’m just a hobbyist, but my time is still valuable and I prefer to use it making things and not repetitive tasks like adjusting tool heights. After using my QCTP, I’ll never go back to the standard turret, and I am thinking about upgrading to a Dorian or Aloris. I like the Multifix style more, but it’s hard justifying the price for that, I would need about 10 tool blocks and that gets expensive quick.

Dorian makes a turret style QCTP that allows for quick angle changes. It has 4 tool positions that are quick change so you can quickly change tools, and it indexes in 15 degree steps, so gives you the flexibility of a Multifix, but cheaper and easier to make tool blocks.

Chances are I'll just have one tool block and just replace tools in it often, except QTCP don't make this easy so you really are forced into having to have one tool block for every tool... it just seems to get expensive. I don't know, but except for times where I need to use smaller tools (mostly because of sharper insert, difficulty in grinding large HSS blanks, etc.) I just get insert of a fixed size. I've never ever seen a QTCP in person in Taiwan, every shop I been to here uses 4 way tool post.

If you’re more or less satisfied with your current 4-way, have you considered having more than one of those? I have three that essentially stay loaded all the time. Instead of changing individual tools all the time I just swap out the entire tool holder. Takes about the same amount of time or less. Only one is commercially made, I made the others myself.

Before I made my Norman QCTP I was looking to make additional 4 ways to do what francist does. In that search I stumbled across the Norman. The Norman gave me the benefits of having a QCTP at a nominal cost. Under a $100 for the materials to make 20 holders. I have only made 12 so far.

Back