QCGB Question

Sorry I was mistaken on the model number. Pretty sure mine is a 1937. I'm starting to wonder if my QCGB had been changed at some time. The tag on it shows as a 1937-2H. Which should be a wheel turret with a 2 1/4-8 spindle according to the Logan chart. Mine don't have a turret, and it has an L-OO spindle. I wonder if Scott would have any records of this SN?

How can I tell if it has hardened ways?

Beautiful paint on yours. I'm wishing I would have gone with that color. I stayed with gray because that was the original color of my lathe. I wish I would have gone with the color of yours. Baby Seal Black?

Yes, the color is Baby Seal Black. I'm going to have to purchase more paint when I paint the rest of the parts.

There is a serial number chart on the Logan Website but I think it only denotes date of manufacture. You might want to email Scott Logan and ask your questions about your lathe. He should be able to tell you what components came with your lathe at the time of manufacture and whether the ways were hardened. He's usually good about answering any emails with questions that I've sent.

Best regards.

Back with more questions about this referb.

I'm leaning towards replacing the bushings in the QCGB while I have it torn down. How do I size the bushings to fit the shafts after the new ones are installed? I'm guessing an adjustable reamer. Of course mine are all too big for any of these bushings.

Yup an adjustable reamer if you need it. IIRC I only needed to tweak one.

The paint color is very close to that found on Lycoming aircraft engines

Finally getting to do some reassembly on this long drawn out project. Another question.

I know that they are "Oilless Bushings" but it just seems like there should be some lube on assembly. Should I be using assembly lube on the bushings and shafts? Something specific?

I use spindle oil, specifically Mobil Velocite No 10, same as I use in all the oil cups.

Edit: All the oil cups that seem to have been eliminated in the later QCGB's

Last edited:
Use the same lubricant as to be used for routine or periodic lubrication. If that is oil, do NOT use grease to assemble with. With Oilite bushings, grease will tend to plug the pores and prevent oil stored in the bushing from getting to the shafts.

Thanks guys. That makes perfect sense.

Use the same lubricant as to be used for routine or periodic lubrication. If that is oil, do NOT use grease to assemble with. With Oilite bushings, grease will tend to plug the pores and prevent oil stored in the bushing from getting to the shafts.

Glad I asked. I very nearly used engine assembly lube. It's what I have on hand, and have always used it on most shafts on assembly. It did strike my mind that I had read about oilless bearings getting "fouled" during reaming so I asked.

Good help. Although I don't have any spindle oil on hand I do need to get some ordered.

Should be OK with motor oil for assembly, don't you think? Or do I need to hold off and get the right lube?

So long as you use only single viscosity non-detergent motor oil of approximately the viscosity recommended for lubricating the gearbox, yes. Do not use HD motor oils. One of the characteristics of HD engine oil is to accumulate water during the cool-down cycle. Which is boiled off to atmosphere during the next running cycle. Machine tools hopefully don't get hot enough to do that, and especially with intermittently used hobby machines will rust. Unless you happen to live in the middle of a desert.

Back