QCGB Question

RonRock

Registered
Registered
I'm going through my 1937 doing a refurb and paint.

I am having an issue with 1 gear in the QCGB. I had to use a punch to get the shaft out. And am now trying to determine if this is as designed or something I need to deal with.

Here are a couple pictures, hopefully they will tell the story.

20170225_111040_zpsd7cpkpe1.JPG 20170225_111040_zpsd7cpkpe1.JPG 20170225_111140_zpsqmh3gk0u.JPG 20170225_111152_zpslbkyebe0.JPG 20170225_111155_zpsziwurbkd.JPG

And one more just for fun,

Cabinet.JPG

Last edited:
Ron, your pix take forever to load, I gave up on the second one, can't see the 'story' in the thumbnails.

How now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be missing something but I don't really see anything out of the ordinary, maybe some sort of description would help.

Sorry guys. Don't know why they would be slow to load.

I guess I didn't fully explain my question.

Is the gear that I show supposed to be a press fit on the shaft? Or should it be a slip fit like all of the other gears in the QCGB?

I am unable to get it to slide onto the shaft. Sure I can press it on, that is how I took it apart. But I'd rather have it slip fit if that is correct.

I can tell you mine were a snug slip fit, at most a few light love taps to get it on.

Ron (and everyone),

Please avoid using a link to PhotoBucket or other such to insert photos into posts here. I know that it takes up less server space to do so but slow loading is only one of the problems that it can cause. Another is that if you ever close your account or if the other site goes belly up, here there will be many red "X"'s, which aggravate everyone who tries to read the posts. So use the UPLOAD A FILE button instead.

Thank you. I removed the Photobucket links and uploaded the files. Now I can't get the photos in the body of the thread, but they are there at least.

I'll do better next time.

Cheers,
Ron

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Good picture! Here is what I had trouble with.

QCGB2.jpg

I chucked the shaft up in my mill and turned down the portion of shaft that was causing the gear to stop with a small file. Not the best I know, but I took it slow and took many checks. It now goes together OK. Still pretty tight, but I can live with that. Better than sloppy fit.

That shaft is a tricky devil to put together with the key and gears. I used some grease to hold the key in the keyway as I slid the shaft into the gears and QCGB housing. Now I have to take it apart and clean it again for paint.

Now if I can figure out how to insert a photo in the thread. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Last edited:
Back