Protecting Infrequently Used Tools From Rusting

I moved to a high humidity area a few years back. We are on a slope overlooking the ocean so we get a constant sea breeze which is death for cast iron. In my workshop I run a dehumidifier 24/7 and I have no rust on my metalworking machines. The woodworking stuff on the other hand are in the garage and did start to suffer from surface rust. I found that covering the table saw with an old dogs blanket has helped a lot. But, and this is a big but, the blanket must not rest on the cast iron. The cross slide table and fence are arranged in such a way that the blanket does not lie on the table surface.

Boeshield T-9 is one of the best I've used. I have it sprayed on exposed metal parts that I've left uncovered, and have not seen one sign of rust
in two years.

.....I found that covering the table saw with an old dogs blanket has helped a lot. But, and this is a big but, the blanket must not rest on the cast iron. .....

A heavy cotton canvas cloth works too. Not sure if rust will start where it touches the iron, though. But does keep rust from forming over the bare areas. Coating all of the surfaces work before covering helps too.
On my table saw, I leave a fine coat of sawdust on the table surface all the time, unless I'm using it. The sawdust acts as a VCI sack controlling moisture and preventing rust from happening.

I use ND30, which is just 30 weight non-detergent oil. *Everything* gets oiled here, or it will rust. I brush it on my parallels and fixtures, and wipe it off when I want to use them. ND30 oil is inexpensive and does the job.

GG

This my method too. I thin the oil with diesel and put it in a Sure Shot air pressure sprayer. Then a quick squirt covers a huge area with a thin film of oil.
http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/

I used to use camphor in my tool chest. It does work. But now you can't just get it at the drug store.

I've been doing the camphor myself for the last year or 2. An added benefit it is keeps the mice out of the toolboxes.

Lanolin $16 per lb on eBay. Last for years. No rust since I started using it

Lather it on or mix with spindle or way oil

Back