Protecting Infrequently Used Tools From Rusting

I used to store my jointer in the semi-closed carport and had a terrible problem with the beds rusting. I tried every kind of oil and wax, but nothing worked. One day as I was getting it out to use, I noticed that under where I had some pieces of plywood stacked on one end, it wasn't rusty.

I cut some sheets of MDF to fit the bed and back plate. Since I've been keeping it covered with the MDF covers, I haven't had any problems with it rusting. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a table saw.

The main causes of my rusting was temperature and humidity changes. Tools would get cold and then a warm front would move in for a day or so, and moisture would condense on the cast iron tools. The best solution for me was to keep my shop heater set on low all the time, to keep the tools from getting so cold and thus prevent condensation.

I used to use camphor in my tool chest. It does work. But now you can't just get it at the drug store.

I don't have a lot to back this up, but I've (accidentally) found that applying an oil based penetrating wood stain seems to stop rust ... at least it appears to have worked on a few outside tools so far. Maybe it penetrates the voids/pores/surface and seals out moisture?

Thanks, guys ! The response are all very helpful. I think I will need some time to digest the load of information provided. This is really a great community !

Generous coating of oil on your tools ( just about any oil is better than nothing) it goes against my grain to put stuff away all oiley but a quik cleanup a couple months later and they r still like new

I have an aerosol can of Jet Lube Rust Guard, I only applied it last month but so far so good...

i just clean the tool after use with a brush in a container of my special cleaning agent
the cleaning agent starts out as diesel with some sunflower/canola oil and in time gets grease, oils, vaseline and whatever it washes of the tools/parts added
put on a wooden shelf driping wet it doesnt take on rust easily
as a bonus the shelves dont get eaten by woodwurms

I use ND30, which is just 30 weight non-detergent oil. *Everything* gets oiled here, or it will rust. I brush it on my parallels and fixtures, and wipe it off when I want to use them. ND30 oil is inexpensive and does the job.

GG

Back