PROS/CONS 2 Piece Vise

Denny

Thanks for the great info.

In another post I read that using this type of vise, especially with long material, will warp your table. Have you experienced any of this?

My table probably weighs 500 pounds so I doubt that there is much deflection going on.
The split vise is not very tall so the work is usually on the table or held off the table with a couple of 123 blocks so there is not much fulcrum to torque the table.
I suppose that if one really tried, the table could be deflected, but I doubt that I ever squeeze the vise a thousand pounds and there is a lot of square inches in the table to distribute the load.

I mentioned holding round things and in my case the split vise is a real time saver.
Since three points define a circle, one can place the fixed jaw and a slotted angle plate at the 7 o'clock and 11 o'clock position of the round material (18inches in diameter in my case) and the movable portion of the vise at the three o'clock position and clamp the round very securely. After machining, one can open the movable vise jaw a little bit and remove the round and reinstall another and not need to relocated the center. The two fixed jaws can be angled towards the center of the circle by bolting across two slots.

Works for me.
Denny

Back