PROS/CONS 2 Piece Vise

jweaver72

Active User
Registered
Looking for a little advice on 2 piece vises for milling operations.

B2535_zoom.jpg

I searched the forum and didn't find anything that would help me make my decision.

If I could get some of the members that have used both single piece vises as well as 2 piece vises to respond with with pros and cons, that would be fantastic.

Thank you

PROSCONS

<tbody>
</tbody>

B2535_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any accommodation for holding the extended jaw down during milling.
Like always, very light milling with a tiny bit might be ok, but if you are planning to buy it new, it is well worth it to buy a used Asian Kurt knockoff for the same money. Even new they are $100.

When I google the vise you are looking for, I am seeing $100+!!!!
Is there a reason you want to try the two piece? Capacity?

I don't know if assuming an enormously heavy workpiece would stay put is a good way to think.

What machine would you be mounting on?

Bernie

I don't see any accommodation for holding the extended jaw down during milling.

Bernie - Very valid point, I do not see that either - On the plus side, the fact that it is size adjustable, you would not need the jaw to be extended more than a few thousandths to snug up your material.

Is there a reason you want to try the two piece? Capacity?

Im am looking at versatility for different capacities as well as taking one more variable out of the equation, maybe more than one. With this set up, I would not have to worry about the ways on the vise being true or staying true since the mill bed will always support my material.

I don't know if assuming an enormously heavy work-piece would stay put is a good way to think.

What machine would you be mounting on?
Bernie

I am using a Sieg X2 (HF). At this point in time I am just playing with aluminium, nothing bigger than 4 to 6 inches at this time.

They are all good points and I thank you for bringing them up.

Last edited:
I have had one for about 10 years and I don't think I have ever had a single use for it. I have tried to make use of it several times, but it is one of those devices that looks useful, but seldom is.
It is no substitute for a good vise or a clamp set.

Randy

I've tried using one quite a few times and wasn't happy with the results unless I was just rough facing something. First you have to overcome the problem of the jaws not staying perpendicular to the table when clamping force is applied, and then there is the problem of the jaw faces staying parallel when force is applied. Two things that a one piece vise do very well, well, at least a high quality one piece vise.

Perhaps they would be good for odd angled pieces that needed to be clamped down because then you could intentionally angle the jaws to match the work.

I bought one thinking it would be a great all-around vise, but it's too squirrely to use for every day stuff. It's really handy for facing off big castings though. When I bought mine, the first use I had in mind was facing off the top side of my MLA cross slide casting without reclamping it over and over. I don't have any screw jacks, and that casting bounced really badly when I got out into the middle of it. It still came out pretty flat though.

I was telling my son about this thread. He was surprised that two piece vises were used for metal. They are quite popular for woodworking.

I appreciate all of the feed back I'm getting on the thread.

So far, it sounds to me like 2 piece vises have there place, its just not in the metal working arena.

I bought one thinking it would be a great all-around vise, but it's too squirrely to use for every day stuff. It's really handy for facing off big castings though. When I bought mine, the first use I had in mind was facing off the top side of my MLA cross slide casting without reclamping it over and over. I don't have any screw jacks, and that casting bounced really badly when I got out into the middle of it. It still came out pretty flat though.

The one in the picture looks like an ordinary vise with some part left out. Since the jaw only needs to travel a few millimeters it should not be hard to make one in which the jaw has only one degree of freedom. The base would surround the jaw on three sides while the jaw rode on the mill table. It would be very simple and low-profile. A fancy version could have a jaw with tangs riding in the T-slots of the table.

Now, if I ever get a mill...

Back