Pressing aluminum sleeve into aluminum

JR yes the plug is .0005" oversize to make an interference fit. No shame at all.

David

I vote for the freezer/ heat method, it should just fall in then cool to a very tight fit.
I would also if there is room drill through the join in 3 equi-spaced places and locktight a pin in the holes so theres no way it will turn.
Then bore it for whatever.

As I said b4, it's a slug right now, only the exterior of the slug is machined, once it's pressed in, I'll machine the bore for the bearing. I'll be going for a good press fit there too.
I vote for the freezer/ heat method, it should just fall in then cool to a very tight fit.
I would also if there is room drill through the join in 3 equi-spaced places and locktight a pin in the holes so theres no way it will turn.
Then bore it for whatever.
Would love to , but this will wind up being thin. I thought of putting a step in it like a bushing with a flange. Or cutting the top down and then pinning a new top on. I can't go very wide down low in the bore, as there is not enough meat there. Further up no problem. If this fails, that's what I'll do , I'll put a cap on and pin it that way. I thought about going to a smaller bearing, since this is the largest bearing for a 12mm shaft. So I would go from 32, down to 27 or 28 can't remember what I looked up.. giving me more meat.. but the amount of pressure the bearing can take drops heavily. Too heavily? I don't know.

How thin will the sleeve be? If it will be less than .03" I would use brass or steel.

the diff is .047 / 2 = .0235, I'm going to give this a shot, using Al, I have plenty of 6061. If it doesn't work, I'll do it thicker, by stepping it so I don't loose strength in the pulley. Tonight, finishing wiring. I ordered bearings from a place that goes by two names, Hard to Find Bearings, and ASAP BEARING. I was having problems finding bearings with a C2 Clearance. Well the quote said ship immediately . They are located in NJ about an hour away. More than a week later I still don't have them, they shipped from CA, and it took 5 days before it shipped, They charged me $15 shipping on 3 bearings.. which way 3.25 oz. I would think that much consititutes faster shipping but it has not hit the East Coast yet. So I won't finish until I have the bearing in hand so I can get my final size, make sure it's the same, and not off by a slight amount. Although bearings are usually tightly spec'd.. but just in case.

Doesn't Loctite soften and let go with heat? And a moving part will produce heat? Don't just depend on the Loctite alone to hold permanently.

Doesn't Loctite soften and let go with heat? And a moving part will produce heat? Don't just depend on the Loctite alone to hold permanently.
I was thinking about that, but Loctite is meant for bearings, and bearings running under worse conditions than these get real hot. So I don't think the temp range we are talking about will loosen the loctite.

Pressed the slug in just a few minutes ago, heat from a heat gun, on the outter, didn't cool the inner. just too much of a mess. Still .0002 over after polishing. I didn't go for a super smooth polish, just to take any machining that might catch, and round it off. Went in like a tight fit, but did not hang up. YES.. waiting a few minutes for the permanent loctite to setup (INSURANCE). then I'll start boring the piece to rough size, and probably finish cut it tomorrow once it cools down. I think this will be running tomorrow night or Saturday.

Back